Thursday, July 10, 2014

Give From the Heart & Without Cost

Thursday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time

(Click Here for Readings)


Gospel of Matthew 10:7-15


Jesus said to his Apostles: “As you go, make this proclamation: ‘The Kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, drive out demons. Without cost you have received; without cost you are to give."

Endless solicitations   On a daily basis, I receive solicitations for charitable donations.  It may be a postal mailer asking for gently-used clothing or blankets.  Other times I read an "urgent" email from an animal welfare organization needing critical funds for homeless animal care.  Occasionally, I'll receive an invite to an exclusive gala event that costs hundreds or even thousands of dollars to attend.  If I gave money and in-kind goods to every charity who submitted a request I'd be bankrupt. I wish I could be   full-time philanthropist allocating my millions to good charitable causes.  Unfortunately, God has not blessed me with such a responsibility.  I'm just your average single woman living on an average salary.

Giving from the heart  Since I do not always have the financial means to help, I much rather give from my heart and without cost.  Donate my time and talent to make up for my lack of treasure.  Never expect anything in return! I do not need address labels, free rosaries, free magazine subscriptions, or my name placed on a donor plaque somewhere.  Appreciation is great but all that really matters is I give charitably to others as the Lord gives charitably to me!  

Without Cost  Jesus never charges for his services and guidance.  It's all free and for the taking.  All he asks of us is to recognize his presence and creation.  Remain vigilant when it comes to evangelizing the Catholic faith.  Always teach, preach and give from the heart.  As the Prophet Hosea so beautifully writes:  "For I am God and not man, the Holy One present among you; I will not let the flames consume you."  When we give without expecting anything in return, we live with grace and authenticity.  We become a mirror image of Christ through our charitable actions.


-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment