Monday, April 7, 2014

Sin No More

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Susanna (Book of Daniel) and the Elders

Gospel of John 8:1-11

Teacher, this woman was caught 
in the very act of committing adultery.
Now in the law, Moses commanded us to stone such women.So what do you say?”
They said this to test him, so that they could have some charge to bring against him.Jesus bent down and began to write on the ground with his finger. But when they continued asking him,he straightened up and said to them,
“Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”

The Book of Daniel is one of my favorite books in the Old Testament.  I love the story of Susanna and the elders. (Actually, I'm always interested in the bible stories involving women, especially strong and faithful ones.) The first thing I think when I read this mini drama: "Yuck!  I wouldn't want crusty old men, however powerful they may be, spying on me, lusting after me, and wanting to have their way.  Disgusting! "  In antiquity, women were treated as property with very little rights. The fact that Daniel as well as loved ones stood up in Susanna's defense is amazing.  Of course, we can thank God for answering her prayers!

Contrast Susanna's story with the story of the adulterous woman.  According to Moses law, both women were condemned to death for the sin of adultery. However, Susanna was falsely accused  of the crime where as the adulterous woman was actually caught in the act of adultery.  Daniel the Prophet saved Susanna.  Jesus Christ, Son of God, saved the adulterous woman from stoning.  Both "prophets" made sure proper justice was observed.  In the end, God's love and mercy saved these women from premature death.

Nobody is free of sin!  All of us do stupid things.  If we were sent to the gas chamber or electric chair every time we committed a "public" sin, our whole human race would be wiped out fairly quick.  It's important for us to recognize the things that tempt us into sin and stay away.  I'm sensual by nature so I know not to be alone with an attractive man (especially in my house) because most likely something "forbidden" will happen.  Also, I know I'm prone to impatience so I stay away from peak driving times and crowded stores and shops.  Overall, I recognize my sinful weaknesses and make a strong effort to sin no more.  Of course, it's nearly impossible not to fall right back into that habitual sin.  I'm always glad Confession is available for times when my sins become overbearing.  

Jesus said:  "Neither do I condemn you. Go, and from now on do not sin any more!" 

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment