Saturday, April 19, 2014

Easter Alleluia

Holy Saturday
At the Easter Vigil on the Holy Night of Easter

(Click Here For Readings)


Then the angel said to the women in reply,“Do not be afraid! I know that you are seeking Jesus the crucified. He is not here, for he has been raised just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples,‘He has been raised from the dead, and he is going before you to Galilee;
there you will see him.’ Behold, I have told you.”

Sixteen years ago on this very night I joined the Catholic Church.  By far it's one of the best experiences of my life!  The Church has been a tremendous blessing for me.  I love the sacraments, history, traditions, and devotions.  I love the people I've become friends with over the years.  I love being an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion and Lector.  I love being Catholic!  

My wonderful parish will be baptizing 18 catechumens this year! A total of 45 new members will be received into the church.  Praise God!  I'm super excited since I know what the experience is like.  I remember my own confirmation sixteen years ago.  I chose the name "Mary Magdalene" as my confirmation name.  When Monsignor Cuschieri placed the confirmation oil on my forehead, I felt exhilaration.  When I received the Eucharist for the first time, it melted in my mouth.  If felt so warm on my tongue.  I felt Jesus all throughout my body! He was present inside me. During my 24 years as a Protestant I never understood the real presence until that very special night during the Easter Vigil!  

One of the things I look forward to the most tonight is singing the "Alleluia!"  Throughout Lent, the Church has purposely omitted this part of the liturgy. I will be singing it loud and joyfully!  Also, I will be smiling , silently praying for each and every one of the catechumens and candidates joining the Catholic Church.  I pray they will grow to love the sacraments as much as I do.  Hopefully they will feel the calling to participate in parish ministries.  Overall, I know they will feel just as excited as I did when I received my first Eucharist.  Jesus is truly AWESOME!

I recently found out that Monsignor Albert Cuschieri who confirmed me at the Easter Vigil 1998 passed away.  Several years ago he retired and returned to his native country of Malta.  He was a wonderful pastor.  I will think of him during tonight's liturgy.  God rest his soul!  

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment