Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A Dialog with God

Memorial of Saint Catherine of Siena, Virgin and Doctor of the Church

(Click Here for Readings)

Acts of the Apostles 4:32-37

The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common....

Gospel of John 3:7b-15
 Jesus said to Nicodemus:“‘You must be born from above.’The wind blows where it wills, and you can hear the sound it makes,but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes; so it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

Happy Feast Day to St. Catherine! Saint Catherine of Siena is one of my favorite saints.  She's inspired me to become a Lay Dominican!  While experiencing serious doubts and worries this past week, I've turned to Saint Catherine for guidance.  Her readings are beautiful and comforting. Not only was she a Lay Dominican but an intelligent woman able to influence the papacy in the 14th century.  Her writings are incredibly appealing and powerful.  I absolutely love her use of imagery, especially in "The Dialogue."  Amazing of all is Catherine was completely illiterate! Others translated and wrote for her....

I imagine Saint Catherine approaching me from heaven with the characteristic flower in her hand as she smiles, wiping away the tears of sadness from my eyes.  Afterwards, she walks up to Jesus whispering to him:  "Take care of that precious woman! I want her to be here with us someday enjoying the splendor of heaven. Keep her safe.  Watch after her.  Forgive her sins and help her to grow in holiness!"  

Creativity & Imagination One thing so powerful about meditation is the expansion of creativity and imagination. Scripture doesn't seem so boring and bland when I immerse myself in the characters and plots.  The Word comes alive when I explore its meaning on a much deeper level.  It's like I'm a diver in the vast ocean.  I swim deeper and deeper toward the ocean floor discovering new life and formations I never knew existed.  I may find an old sunken ship with buried treasure or an active volcano oozing lava.  On the ocean's surface, things may look familiar with the occasional whale or dolphin surfacing up for some air.  But, deep down in the ocean lies the unknown.  An unknown that I become curious about and wish to explore further. A new outlook on life emerges that I never thought possible.

What's so intriguing about mystics like Saint Catherine of Siena is how they use imagination to explore God with a beauty and clarity that really makes us think at a much higher level.  This level is way above the ordinary and superficial.

Dialog with God  Why not explore new ways of prayer?  Place yourself in the scene of a scripture passage.  Imagine a dialog with a beloved Saint.  Spend some time speaking with Jesus directly, imagining you are walking along the seashore with him or he's sitting beside you in church.  Read the scriptures more closely and pay attention to phrases that jump out at you as if speaking to you on a personal level.

Saint Catherine of Siena, Pray for Us!

No comments:

Post a Comment