Saturday, February 7, 2015

Sacred Rest in a Deserted Place

 Saturday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Gospel of Mark 6:30-34
Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada  (January 2015)

(Click Here for Readings)


The Apostles gathered together with Jesus and reported all they had done and taught.
He said to them, “Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.”  People were coming and going in great numbers, and they had no opportunity even to eat. So they went off in the boat by themselves to a deserted place.

During my recent trip to Las Vegas, my sister and I  drove through the Valley of Fire State Park, the oldest state park in Nevada.  I was stunned by gorgeous rock formations surrounded by desert landscape.  I imagine God playing with a box of Crayolas coloring the landscape with Burnt Orange,  Burnt Siena, and Brick Red.  He added scenic effects using Olive Green, Tumbleweed and Cornflower.   What a color explosion!  Our Creator probably enjoyed transforming this once ocean oasis into a desert dynamo.  Historically speaking, primitive tribes inhabited this land thousands of years before the birth of Christ.  Amazing how the nomads survived wild life threats and intense desert heat.

I found the Valley of Fire's views refreshing and restorative.  I felt such peacefulness as I took photos from my trusty camera phone.  We observed a desert squirrel hiding underneath a brittle bush.  Even furry cuteness abounds in the landscape.

I understand why Jesus often retreated to deserted places away from the drama and noise of the crowds.  The desert, as well as the mountains, were essential stops for sacred rest.  Christ needed to recharge his spiritual batteries and spend valuable prayer time with His Father.  The demands of ministry wore him down both physically and spiritually.  Anyone who works in the public eye can relate to the need for some privacy every now and then.

When I was around four years old, my mom recalls how I loved to play in my backyard sandbox. It was like my own private get-away; a deserted place where I allowed my vivid imagination to run wild. Our neighbor often practiced his golf swing, so his golf balls always landed in my sandbox!  I'd collect my treasures, toting them around in a Kentucky Fried Chicken plastic tub.  I loved to take utensils from my Easy Bake oven set and make sand pies.  Cook up some yummy pies with golf balls inside! I didn't understand the concept of prayer at such a young age.  However, if I did I would have sang praises to Jesus as I constructed my sandbox creations.

As Christians, we should set aside time each time for private meditation and reflection. Get away from the hustle and bustle of life.  Maybe spend some time in quiet prayer in front of the Blessed Sacrament.  Perhaps register for a weekend retreat at a place such as Montserrat. Take a trip to the woods, the mountains, or the desert for some much needed R&R.  Even setting up a private space in the home is a wonderful way of connecting more intimately with the Lord.  When we isolate ourselves in peace and quiet, even for only a short period of time, we can see things in a much clearer light.

God takes everyone he loves through a desert. It is his cure for our wandering hearts, restlessly searching for a new Eden... The best gift of the desert is God's presence... The protective love of the Shepherd gives me courage to face the interior journey.” 

- Paul E. Miller, A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World

-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment