Monday, February 16, 2015

Raising Cain

Monday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time

(Click Here for Readings)


Genesis 4:1-15; 25

The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offering,
but on Cain and his offering he did not. Cain greatly resented this and was crestfallen. So the LORD said to Cain:
“Why are you so resentful and crestfallen. If you do well, you can hold up your head; but if not, sin is a demon lurking at the door: his urge is toward you, yet you can be his master.”


The Holy Spirit works in mysterious ways.  When I need God the most, he makes his presence known.  Sometimes even when I don't think  I need God, and I can handle hardships by my little lonesome self, he sends forth a holy stare with  a holy smile!  I try to hide my eyes, but his glowing light is too intense.  I try to run away, but his grip is too tight!  God lets me know through my conscience, and sometimes even through another person's words, that my thoughts and actions are not pleasing to him.  Ranting and raving - as the old saying goes "raising Cain"-  doesn't do much good.  It harms relationships with others and disconnects us from the Lord.

For the past week, everywhere I turn the word resentment appears out of nowhere. I hear the word on the radio, read it in an article, or stumble across the word in the bible..  I think God is sending me a subliminal message:  Take hold of my own feelings of resentment and shove them out the door.  There's no reason to resent others.  There's no reason for me to harbor anger toward another person because he or she doesn't see things my way.  I think Satan uses resentment, anger and envy to toy with us; to make us focus on ourselves and less on others.

On February 14th, Pope Francis elected 20 new Cardinals.  Although none of the cardinals are from the United States, several of them live in more remote countries and dioceses.  In his homily, Pope Francis focused on the "hymn of charity" in St. Paul's Letter to the Corinthians. When I saw the word resentment once again pop up I immediately paid attention!  Even though his words are addressed to pastors, I think we all can relate:

"Charity, Saint Paul says, 'is not irritable, it is not resentful'. Pastors close to their people have plenty of opportunities to be irritable, to feel anger. Perhaps we risk being all the more irritable in relationships with our confreres, since in effect we have less excuses. Even here, charity, and charity alone, frees us. It frees us from the risk of reacting impulsively, of saying or doing the wrong thing; above all it frees us from the mortal danger of pent-up anger, of that smouldering anger which makes us brood over wrongs we have received. No. This is unacceptable in a man of the Church. Even if a momentary outburst is forgiveable, this is not the case with rancour. God save us from that!"

Oh, if Cain just listened to the Lord and didn't allow resentment to build up to the point of murder.  If he could have been proud and supportive of Abel, working peacefully together for the Lord.  If only he had not allowed Satan to take a hold of his heart leaving it bitter and angry.  

Are you a Cain or an Abel?  Do you see the world through the eyes of resentment and anger or love and charity?  Are you quick to feud and fight or bring about peace?  Do you listen to God, trying to live a quiet holy life, or do you turn a deaf ear, deciding to "raise Cain" through impulsive actions and words?  I think we can all be a little like Cain every once in a while; but, hopefully we use enough self-control not to get ourselves into a dangerous situation.

Next time you feel like raising Cain, take a few deep breaths and say the Jesus prayer!

-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment