Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Nothing is Impossible With God

Tuesday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

(Click Here for Readings)

Gospel of Matthew 19:23-30

When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and said,“Who then can be saved?” Jesus looked at them and said,
“For men this is impossible, but for God all things are possible.”


Uh-Oh! As I left confession last Thursday evening, I checked my cell phone.  Three missed calls and two voicemails!  Although my phone was on silent, I noticed another call coming through from my mother.  I answered  "Hello?"  Mom's voice sounded worried: "Jennifer - Where are you?  I keep getting calls from your alarm company saying the security alarm is going off at the house!"  Uh Oh....

I knew exactly what triggered the alarm:  My dog!  I left her out of her kennel, giving her full reign of the house.  Silly me forgot to deactivate the alarm.  Cayenne, my lovable dachshund, triggers the motion detector when she walks into the living room.  I felt guilty leaving my doggy home alone!  According to a voicemail left by the monitoring service, the alarm must have been sounding for nearly 45 minutes.  I was still a 35 minute drive back to the house!

I got in my car and drove as quickly as I could. A few minutes down the road my fuel light came on. Ah great! I'm almost out of gas. I don't have time to stop.  I need to get to my little pooch.  She's probably terrified by fright.  She hates loud sounds!

I admit I drove a little above the speed limit trying to get home pronto. Of course, as Murphy's Law always works, I hit every red light along the way!  Fortunately, I arrived home safely without running out of gas.  I listened for sounds of a screeching alarm.  Total silence.  I opened the backdoor and found my dog waiting for me, jumping up and down, wagging her tail, as if nothing ever happened.  I checked out the alarm keypad noticing flashing red lights signaling it went off.  All I figure is the alarm company must have turned off the alarm from their end.  Thank the Lord because it saved me a lot of headache dealing with the Police Department.  They issue residents citations for false alarms.  I breathed a huge sigh of relief!!

Nothing is impossible with God.  The Lord constantly watches over us. He doesn't give us more than we can handle at a time.  It may seem like we are up against the most impossible circumstances in the world.  We're stressed, tired, and lifeless.  We no longer know if we can deal with all of the dog poo thrown at us.  Keep faith and hope alive.  Like I've written many times before, life changes.  Circumstances change.  Our crosses now won't be the exact same crosses 5 years from now.

 Sometimes in a state of emergency we imagine the worse.  We rush to the rescue just to find out everything is essentially okay.  However, we never know when a false alarm turns into something more serious.  Crises do, and will happen, in our lives.  We have to always be prepared.  Act smart and be safe.  I find the greatest preparation for the unexpected "stuff" that happens in life is to keep close to Jesus.  Pray, meditate, worship, and dine with Him.  Gather up as much spiritual strength as possible so when that "emergency" happens I am prepared, ready to tackle it.  Those times I've distance myself from God, not taking my prayer life seriously, is when I normally don't handle unpleasant situations as well as I should.

Be like the mighty little fire ant in today's mediation artwork.  Be on fire for Christ!  Power up with his Word made flesh!  Form a close connection with Our Lord so that nothing is ever impossible with his guidance.

-J.












  


No comments:

Post a Comment