Friday, August 15, 2014

Scattering the Proud

Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

(Click Here for Readings)

Gospel of Luke 1:39-56


“He has shown the strength of his arm, and has scattered the proud in their conceit.He has cast down the mighty from their thrones, and has lifted up the lowly…”  

Yesterday I went to confession.  It had been a few months.  I wanted to wipe the slate clean with The Lord before this beautiful feast day of Mary's Assumption.  After waiting in a long line, as usual, I finally made it inside the Reconciliation room.  As I poured out my sins to my confessor, I noticed a dead cockroach right beside where father sat. It laid there motionless with its feet up in the air.  I said to Father, "Did you notice the bug on the floor?"  He replied, "Yes, this place is full of dead things."  Hmmm... I got to thinking more about  that statement in light of confession.  When we walk into the tiny little room, sitting in front of the priest, we are filled with all kinds of filthy sin.  We may have behaved like a nasty insect biting other people, infecting them with welps, rashes or even diseases caused by our sinful nature. In confession we have a chance to kill that sin for good with a spiritual can of RAID!  The priest in Anima Christi fumigates our souls, eradicating sin and returning us to full grace with God.

We are at our lowest when we humbly confess our sins.  Our former pride and conceit is no longer powerful but scattered into tiny nanoparticles.  We are lifted up from our mighty thrones constructed of vanity and sensuality.  We have a chance to go back into the world as a new and better person.

What's so special about the Blessed Virgin Mary is that she was conceived without the stain of original sin.  When she died, she was immediately assumed into Heaven.  I imagine it happened with full fan fair as her Son and angels showered her with beautiful lilies as portrayed in today's meditation art.  Trumpets blasted and harps played beautiful music as the Queen of Heaven entered her new dwelling place.

It's comforting to know the Blessed Mother treats us all as her own children.  In times of struggle and burdens, she's there pouring out her love and care for us. She works on our behalf, counseling with her Son Jesus on matters of the heart.  We don't have to worry about being dead in this world.  We have life in heaven waiting for us.  We should use our limited time on earth in good and holy ways.  Respect and love one another.  Let go of anger and resentment.  Shed away envy and jealousy.  Scatter away the pride in our hearts and replace it with love for all.

As I finished up confession, I took a tissue out of the box and preceded to pick up the dead cockroach off the floor.  I could no longer stand the sight of it.  Father stopped me:  "No.  Let me take care of this! You go on now."  I left the confessional feeling relief.  I spent a few moments in front of the Blessed Sacrament thanking Jesus for his kindness, forgiveness, and mercy.

Let the spiritual RAID fumigation begin!

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment