Saturday, February 21, 2015

Thaw Out to Perfection

Saturday of the First Week of Lent

Gospel of Matthew 5:43-47

So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect.





A snow storm blew through the DFW Metroplex yesterday. Many businesses closed early.  A record  2 inches of snow accumulated at the airport, not seen since 1934!  Certainly this has been a crazy winter in North Texas.  I've literally been shut in for two days with cabin fever settling in.  I can tell my dachshund is going a little doggy crazy.  Her barking at everything under the cloudy skies, chiefly out of boredom, causes a nonstop headache.   Puppy needs a nice long walk; I need a couple of Aleve!

I've taken several cat naps,  in and out of viewing episodes of "House of Cards Season 3."  Nothing better than to curl up in front of a good television series when bad weather keeps me stuck inside.  After I read through Morning Prayer and the scripture readings of the day, I took a long and hot aromatherapy bath.  The essence of cinnamon leaf oil, neroli, rosewood, and thyme allowed me to imagine away my current state of boredom. I do some of my best thinking in the bath or shower.  

A question formed in my mind as I listened to water dripping from the roof.  Thaw out at last!

How can I be perfect like God the Father?  

I rustle with the idea of perfection.  Is it truly attainable on this earth, or is perfection waiting for us in heaven?  We can follow God's commandments.  We can learn to love our enemies and serve others.  We can practice virtues instead of vices.  However, we are still imperfect human beings!  We still get in bad moods and make mistakes.  We don't always love as much as we should.  Plus, we can be egotistical at times.  So being perfect like God is perfect appears to be an impossible goal!

Times throughout my life I've tried to be the "perfect" student, employee, writer, friend, and even Catholic.  In my quest for perfection, it only causes stress, and to a certain extent, an elevated ego.  This is so contrary to God's idea of being perfect.  He doesn't lift himself up as morally superior or judge people as if they will never amount to anything.  He accepts people as he creates them, flawed and all, but only asks that we try our best to live a holy life.  When we do make mistakes, repent and ask for forgiveness.  Make it a goal to live a good life; a life loving and serving others. Enemies will always lurk behind the scenes or straight ahead.  Yet, Christ calls us to still love and respect them.  Praying for a conversion of their harden hearts is a great way of demonstrating such love.

Thaw out to perfection.  Let go of the chilliness of hate and replace it with the warmth of love.  Allow the ice cubes of indifference and unfair judgment melt away into potable water.  Life is transformed more perfect when we live a life close to God.

-J.









No comments:

Post a Comment