Saturday, February 21, 2015

Lenten Cleansing Effects

Saturday After Ash Wednesday


Isaiah 58: 9b-48

Thus says the LORD: If you remove from your midst oppression, false accusation and malicious speech; If you bestow your bread on the hungry and satisfy the afflicted; Then light shall rise for you in the darkness, and the gloom shall become for you like midday; Then the LORD will guide you always and give you plenty even on the parched land. He will renew your strength, and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring whose water never fails.


As a baby Lay Dominican candidate (novice) just admitted to the Order of Preachers last December, I find myself a little overwhelmed by the endless amount of reading material on Dominican Spirituality. I'm not quite sure where to start or what to focus on.  Everything piques my interest, to a certain extent.  The more scholarly articles are bookshelfed for a while longer.  I'm starting off with the easier to understand writings.

Recently, I grabbed a bio on Saint Dominic to get a feel for what kind of person he was. Wow, talk about an inspiring man who practiced penance every day of his life and not only during Lent!  He prayed into the wee hours of the night, often forgoing sleep.  He fasted from meat daily, often eating sparse meals.  He regularly gave clothing off of his own back to the poor.  All of the penances he performed with a cheery countenance and not one hint of despair!  This is quite a miracle in itself since most of us are quick to moan and groan, huff and puff when the Church requires us to attend Mass every Sunday and take communion/ confess sins once a year.   This doesn't seem like that difficult of an obligation.  Why only partake in the Church's sacraments once a year and miss out on deep spiritual cleansing?!  I don't want the filth and stench of my sins to linger around too long, rotting away my soul.  I want to bath regularly under Christ's healing shower, staying fresh and clean!

Perhaps a great practice to adopt in Lent 2015 is attending daily mass more often and amping up time in the confessional!  Trust me, priests have heard it all, so no need to be embarrassed if it's been a while since you last confessed mortal sins.   Certainly regular reception of The Eucharist and confession has a tremendous cleansing effect on our souls.

Furthermore, meditating on scripture and praying the Liturgy of the Hours waters our souls daily.  Christ's aqua jug helps our souls grow and bloom.  I know days when I don't have the time to read the mass scripture verses or daily Psalter I feel droopy.  The rose living inside my heart is thirsty and needs just a sprinkle of holy water to revive.

Having maintained this blog for about two years now, I've  noticed the same scripture readings cycle over and over.  It's a challenge to write from a different perspective.  Sometimes scripture doesn't quite speak to me as profoundly as months or years earlier.  As a result, I like to gather ideas from the writings from the Saints, the Popes, and even lay persons.  Moreover, I regularly look at reflections from our Protestant brothers and sisters.  I believe strongly in ecumenical outreach, especially since I originate from a Protestant background, so sometimes I turn to non-Catholic religious sources for inspiration. (Please don't think I'm a bad Catholic for paying attention to what our fellow Christian brothers and sisters of other denominations are preaching!)

I'd like to close today's meditation with words from Rev. Don Underwood, pastor at Christ United Methodist Church in Plano, TX.  He is a phenomenal preacher along with his assistant ministers.  (I'm happy to say the church has women pastors, too!)  I enjoy listening to the church's sermons recorded on their website.  Here are words from Rev. Underwood's recent email message:

"The journey through Lent can be dark and somewhat solitary. That is how it is meant to be. But it comes with its own rewards. It provides the opportunity to set aside the perky little aphorisms about having a great day in return for an even richer experience of being in the presence of the God who creates the day. Of being held by the God who watches over us during the night. Experiencing those moments when we know, without any doubt, that we belong to God." 

Saint Martin de Porres, Pray for Us!

-J.






No comments:

Post a Comment