Monday, December 14, 2015

Rejoice and Be Glad

Third Sunday of Advent

Philippians 4:47


Brothers and sisters:
Rejoice in the Lord always.
I shall say it again: rejoice!
Your kindness should be known to all.
The Lord is near.
Have no anxiety at all, but in everything,
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving,
make your requests known to God.
Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Whenever I see a picture of Pope Francis my heart smiles!  The Pontiff's words comfort. During his Gaudete Sunday mass at the Basilica of John Lateran in Rome,  Pope Francis remarked, “we cannot let ourselves be taken in by fatigue; sadness in any form is not allowed, even though we have reason to be with the many concerns and the many forms of violence which hurt humanity."

Our hearts must be filled with joy, Pope Francis announced.  The birth of the baby Jesus is not a somber event but a joyful one.

I think so many people feel stressed out, lonely and/ or depressed because Christmas has turned into such a commercialized event.  The real reason for the season is overshadowed by Black Friday sales, fulfilling Christmas "wish" lists, and attending social parties.  It's about spending $$$ and entertaining.  I figure this time of the year more people to go to the mall on Sundays than attend church services.  I think Jesus and his Mother need some holy attention!!  Leave the credit cards at home and exchange them for holy cards!

 I feel much more at peace sitting in a church sanctuary away from all of the commercial chaos.  I feel even more comfort kneeling in front of the Blessed Sacrament in prayer.  I am extremely fortunate to be only a short 10 minute drive away from a perpetual adoration chapel.  I have been visiting Jesus in the Eucharist on a weekly basis.  Just pouring out my soul to him gives me a glimmer of hope.  Life will be okay.  It is not as dire as it appears to be.  The blessings given to me outweigh the troubles.  I need to rejoice in such blessings!

For the first time, I wore a beautiful cream colored lace mantilla to Sunday mass.  I felt a little awkward at first, but then as I focused on the liturgy I felt Christ closer to me than ever before!  The reverence and respect a head covering instills is hard to describe.  I am glad this tradition is making a comeback in post Vatican II Catholic churches.  I encourage other women to veil when they can.

Rejoice and Be Glad.  Christmas is almost here!  Jesus will arrive soon!

-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment