Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 Rewind

Seventh Day of the Octave of Christmas
New Year's Eve

1 John 2:18-21


Children, it is the last hour; and just as you heard that the antichrist was coming, so now many antichrists have appeared. Thus we know this is the last hour. They went out from us, but they were not really of our number; if they had been, they would have remained with us. Their desertion shows that none of them was of our number. But you have the anointing that comes from the Holy One, and you all have knowledge.


On this New Year's Eve morning, as I  meditate on the scripture readings, I rewind my mind back through 2015.  Overall, it has been a good year with many challenges and achievements. I would not be where I am at today without a steadfast and solid Catholic faith

This year has been one of momentous growth and maturity.  I managed to successfully prepare and sell my home.  I bought a brand new car.  Both transactions happened on my own initiative.  I am very proud of getting the job done (as a single female) without relying on my family or friends to do it for me.  Yes, it was difficult and stressful.  I didn't think I'd pull through, but in the end I triumphed.  Once again, Jesus and his Blessed Mother guided me along the way.  They knew I could take a hold of the reigns and change my life's direction with courage and strength.

After settling into my new apartment, 2015 instantly changed from one of good fortune to despair.  Like everything else in life the highs must follow by the lows.  Nothing stays smiling and happy forever.  If it did, we would not learn from our mistakes or feel a need to pray to God as a source of healing.  The tragic death of my dog which still cuts through my bones.  The sad passing of my great aunt and godmother.  The news that my contributions to a blog will no longer be needed as the author has shut it down....  All of these reversals leave me sad wondering Why?  Of course, I need to stop asking God "Why?" and graciously accept the inevitable.  Our Lord does what he does because he has better in store for us!  With death springs new life and with an ending follows a new beginning. 

One thing I love about meditating about scripture and writing reflections is how much the thought process restores a sense of hope and peace.  I realize that those who lived in bible times experienced the same circumstances we do today.  Just in a different era of time without the luxuries and sophistication we enjoy today. 

How did Mary, Joseph and Jesus celebrate a new year?  The calendar was way different back in the day.  No Chinese fireworks or loud firecrackers.  No bubbly champagne overflowing from glass flutes.  Definitely no fall of the Big Red Apple.  Perhaps New Year's Eve was spent in prayer at the temple or in festive communion with friends and relatives.  I am sure the celebration was peaceful.  The Holy Family looked forward to a new chapter in their lives - one devoted to the Lord.

During the last hour of 2015, let us acknowledge the God's blessings and thank him for giving us LIFE.  Despite the highs and lows, twists and turns, smooth and rocky roads we are still here on earth.  We have a new year awaiting us where we can choose to use our gifts and talents for the benefit of the Kingdom of God.

I look forward to 2016 as I select "stop" on my 2015 rewind.  I have learned what I needed to learn.  Now it is time to move on.  Keep the light of faith burning.

“The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul and a new nose; new feet, a new backbone, new ears, and new eyes. Unless a particular man made New Year resolutions, he would make no resolutions. Unless a man starts afresh about things, he will certainly do nothing effective.”  ― G.K. Chesterton


-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment