Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Our Lady of the Rosary

Memorial of Our Lady of the Rosary


Luke 10:38-42

Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving? Tell her to help me.” The Lord said to her in reply, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her.”

Last week after daily mass, as I walked back to my car, a woman ran up tapping me on the shoulder.  When I turned around she held my hand and gave me a hug. She said with a heavy accent, "I received a text message.  My mother  just passed away.  Please  pray for her! Her name is Edna. " Then she ran toward her car.  I stood there in shock.  She wasn't weeping or sobbing uncontrollably.  She actually seemed frantically joyful!

Why did this woman stop and tell me about her mother's passing?  There were other people in the parking lot she could have approached.  She didn't know me and I had never seen her before.  I will always wonder what prompted her dialog.  The Holy Spirit once again in action....

That evening, as I prayed my rosary, I thought of Edna.  What was she like?  How old was she?  Had she been ill for a long time?  I imagined Our Blessed Mother wrapping the woman in her arms.  Edna made it to heaven, forever at peace.  She no longer worried about her pains and anxiety would no longer be a troublesome burden.

Edna, like Mary, chose the better part and it would not be taken from her.  Obviously, Edna left behind pious and humble children who'd always remember her legacy.  I never met this woman but I felt like I knew her for decades.  The bond of Christ's brotherhood and sisterhood is so strong that when one member passes we all feel it.  As Christians, we hope to make into to heaven, too.  God has chosen how long we will live on earth.  We don't know when it's our time to go, but while we are here we can make prayer and frequent reception of the sacraments as an important part of every day life.

Like so many other Catholics, I have fallen in love with the rosary.  I find praying it daily is a huge source of spiritual strength.  I'm much more calm, patient, and loving.  I'm less self-serving and more self-donating.  I'm more aware of the people around me; those suffering as well as rejoicing.  Days when I don't have time to pray at least one decade, I feel lost.  Normally the day doesn't go quite as smoothly.

On this feast day of Our Lady of the Rosary, we are reminded of how much Our Blessed Mother fights on our behalf.  We are much stronger, courageous, and charitable through her holy intercession.

Our Lady of the Rosary, Pray for Us!

-J.







No comments:

Post a Comment