Friday, February 13, 2015

Then God Created W.O.M.A.N.

Thursday of the Fifth Week in Ordinary Time

(Click Here for Readings)


Genesis 2:18-25

So the LORD God cast a deep sleep on the man,
and while he was asleep, he took out one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh.
The LORD God then built up into a woman
the rib that he had taken from the man.
When he brought her to the man, the man said:

“This one, at last, is bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh; this one shall be called ‘woman,’ for out of ‘her man’ this one has been taken.”


What if God never created The Woman?  What if the world was only comprised of males and animals?  As a woman, it's hard to imagine not being part of God's kingdom.  Personally, I prefer the version of the creation story where woman is molded out of clay instead of formed from the rib of Adam. My fierce independence likes the idea of both man and woman formed from a neutral substance. In other words, man and woman appear on more equal terms if they were molded out of clay.    

I guess you can say I'm a little feminist by nature.  Not radical in any stretch of the word but feminist enough to desire equal treatment for women.  I want women to have the same educational opportunities as men.  I wish for women to make equal salary.  I want women to become strong leaders in society.  Furthermore, I wish women to gain greater respect by her male counterparts. Certainly the Church highlights the importance of the woman, emphasizing her important role as a mother, sister, caretaker, and organizer.  The Woman is blessed beyond measure!

I thank God every day for feminine genius, and I'm proud of all the women who are successful proving they are just as capable as men in all aspects of life.  Studies show that countries who provide women with equal opportunities as men profit both socially, psychologically, and economically.   I think about the women of the bible such as Sarah, Ruth, Mary Magdalene, and even our Blessed Mother.  Imagine if they were never part of salvation history!

Of course, the whole idea behind creating woman is the continuation of the human race.  Women bear and raise young.  They are given unique talents by God.  Next time you see the word "woman" think of these descriptions:

Wise. Observing. Maternal.Attentive. Nurturing.

Thank the Lord for the creation of The Woman!  Give a hug and a kiss to a woman today, especially with the approach of St. Valentine's Day!

-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment