Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ash Wednesday 2015: The Blessing of Forgiveness

Ash Wednesday 2015



"May you be blessed, my God, for although I am unworthy of any benefits, yet your nobility and infinite goodness never cease to do good even for those who are ungrateful and far from you.  Convert us to you, that we may be thankful, humble, and devout, for you are our salvation, and our strength." -Venerable Thomas A Kempis

For the first time ever, I took a vacation day on Ash Wednesday.  Normally I wait to go to mass until late in the evening, but this year I want it to be a "Wow Factor" lenten experience.  I'm attending 8 am mass and then plan to run  errands around town.  I won't be at all embarrassed by the ashen cross on my forehead.  In fact, it will make a great conversational piece.  I'm Catholic and proud of it!

I remember the first time I ever noticed ashes on the forehead.  It was my sophomore year in college.  I didn't realize that Texas A&M had a huge Catholic ministry.  (I was still a lukewarm Protestant who occasional went to Sunday church service.) Several of my sorority sisters attended our weekly meeting wearing the distinctive dirt.  After I found what the ashes represented, I secretly wish I could receive a blessing, too.  I thought it was only a "Catholic thing." Later I was pleased to find out anybody can receive ashes!  Although it would be several more years before I attended a Catholic Mass, and received ashes on my own forehead, I always thought it was a beautiful symbol of Christ's mercy: The blessing of forgiveness.

Have you made any a Lenten resolutions?  Have you given something up?  Personally, I've decided to give up drinking wine, except of course communion wine.  Wine is something I absolutely love.  However, sometimes when I drink little too much it unleashes my pessimism and negativity.  I'm bound and determined to remain optimistic this Lenten Season.    Moreover, I'm prepared to cast away the resentment, envy and anger that I've habitually harbored in my heart.  Give it all to God with a request:  Please remove these crippling vices and help me replace them with love and charity.  

Today after I receive my ashes, I will thank God for gifting us with the Catholic Church.  I will thank our Blessed Mother for her peaceful countenance.  I will thank Saint Michael the Archangel for his protection against evil.  I will thank Saint Dominic for focusing on the salvation of souls.  Most important of all, I will thank God for his love, mercy and willingness to forgive all sins.  

 Let us open the flood gates to repentance!  Let the conversion begin!

-J.


P.S.  For every bottle of wine I would normally purchase over a 40 day period, I will donate the monetary value to my parish.  ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment