Thursday, March 22, 2012

Interior Silence

Can anyone imagine a world in complete silence?  Can anyone imagine mastering the ability to internally block out all of the noise in the world that's so distracting and irritating?  God gave us ears to listen.  Yes, he also gave us a mouth to speak.  But, how often are the words we say (or think) meaningless and totally against God's holy word?  I get tired of all the NOISE of society around me:  radios, stereos, television sets, babies crying, cars honking, cell phone chatting, cell phones ringing, hammering of roofs - noise,noise, noise!! It's hard to THINK with so many noisy distractions.  It's definitely hard to become more intimate with the Lord with so much noise pollution. 
The exterior noise is often what we think of when we talk about "noise pollution."  But, oftentimes our own "interior noise" through obsessive, negative thoughts can be even more polluting.  I'm a thinker and observer.  I'm one of those types of personalities who over-thinks to the point that I will commit a grave sin.  How many times have I thought lustful thoughts about a man who I can never be with?  How many times have I told myself that I'm worthless, no good, ugly, and boring when nothing warrants such thoughts?  How many times have I been angry, resentful, and downright selfish toward others?  Way too many times to keep track of! The Devil has a clever way of keeping our minds undisciplined and LOUD. 
I understand now the need for interior silence where all of my thoughts are focused on God .  This way I strive to imitate HIM in all facets of my life.  It takes practice and patience to quiet my mind.  Who knows all God is trying to tell me, but I'm so "in tune" with my own selfish thoughts that I cannot hear his message.  It's time to tell my mind to "Be quiet and listen to what God has to say!"

-J. 

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts and definitely something that I struggle with too. It's especially meaningful in this time of Lent when we're called to fast from entertainment and turn to prayer and church services instead. Trying to harness my mind is definitely a challenge and continual prayer seems so difficult to achieve...I guess all we can do is keep trying! :)

    ReplyDelete