Monday, October 20, 2014

A Bountiful Harvest


Monday of the Twenty-Ninth Week in Ordinary Time

(Click Here for Readings)

“There was a rich man whose land produced a bountiful harvest. He asked himself, ‘What shall I do, for I do not have space to store my harvest?’ And he said, ‘This is what I shall do: I shall tear down my barns and build larger ones. There I shall store all my grain and other goods and I shall say to myself, “Now as for you, you have so many good things stored up for many years, rest, eat, drink, be merry!”’


A bountiful harvest    When I think of  a bountiful Autumn harvest, I see piles of freshly harvested  barley and wheat.  Orchards are loaded with apples. Pumpkins and gourds are ripe for the picking. Birds and insects flutter attempting to enjoy nature's bounty, feasting on its lushness, while a scarecrow stares nearby.  God's creatures relish in the beautiful and plentiful.

From season to season, the farmer may not know if his harvest will flourish. Some cycles are barren followed by years of surplus.  The farmer knows in times of plenty more money is earned; however, he also knows there is more food to share with others.  How foolish to stash precious perishables in a barn, rotting away uneaten.  How  selfish NOT to give away a surplus of crops to those in need - the sick, the poor, and the hungry.  Food is meant to be enjoyed for its nutrition and sustenance, not wasted.

Like the rich man in today's parable, the farmer may decide to build a bigger barn to store his bigger crop.  He may predict that all future crops will be just as abundant, securing prosperity.  But rest-assured.....God changes plans.  A drought, a flood, or some other natural disaster can yield a marginal crop.  Illness and misfortune may overwhelm the farmer to the point he can no longer care for the land.

God provides us with seasons of abundance and seasons of sparseness.  The ups and downs are meant for us to rely on God's providence and not our own selfish will. In both bad and good times, we are called to help our neighbor and acknowledge God's blessings.

Stored-up selfishness    I'm currently reading the insightful book  I Believe in Zero: Learning from the World's Children authored by UNICEF President & CEO Caryl M. Stern.  What's shocked me most is the extreme poverty in developing African and South American countries. We as Americans are often unaware that not everybody in the world is as modern and rich as we are.  We often take situations and people for granted.  Here I am blessed with not only basic necessities such clean drinking water, plumbing, electricity, a home, and proper medical treatment but also so many luxuries.  All of my possessions can quickly fill up a barn.  I sometimes complain that I don't have what this person or that person has.  However, when I think of what I have compared with the poor described in this book I realize I've got way more than I need.  I feel ashamed that I don't do more for the poor.  I feel embarrassed that I'm not always grateful for what God has blessed me with.  It's as if I've stored-up selfishness in my own soul, not always aware that others go without basic needs. 

Rich in matters of God   Rich in the matters of God sounds like a foreign statement in our Western world where money is power; power is success; and success is extravagance.  As we drink our Starbucks grande-sized pumpkin spice lattes, drive our luxury vehicles, and chat on our high end electronic devices, we sometimes fail to to realize that none of these possessions really matter in the eyes of Christ.  He rather see us living in a hut without electricity or running water if it means we are make him first in our lives.  Yes, this may seem like a miserable existence but this is exactly the situation in many developing countries.  Even though they suffer disease and malnutrition, poor children still dance and sing, happy and thankful for life!

What matters most to God?  Faith, Hope and Love.  How can we become richer?  Grow in holiness instead of selfishness.  Make a strong effort to live simply and humbly.  Cast aside greed and a desire for worldly possessions focusing on charity towards others.  A bountiful harvest awaits for those who follow Christ!

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment