Friday, November 27, 2015

Give Thanks







"If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough."
  - Meister Eckhart


Every Thanksgiving my mother and I, along with my dachshund, make the long drive to my grandparents' house in East Texas.  Usually my aunt's parents join us from Florida.  I always enjoy visiting them.  But, I noticed my aunt's father didn't appear his normal talkative self.  Turns out he will be undergoing a special heart procedure.  He's experienced difficulty breathing for many weeks now. We are all very concerned and pray the surgery goes well.

My doggy was in canine heaven feasting on pieces of turkey my uncle dropped on the floor.  Uncle makes sure every last morsel of meat is trimmed off bones for all of us to enjoy.

This year my mom got out her iPad and played funny videos.  By the time everyone watched them, I'd seen and heard the videos 5 times.  Well, I can't complain too much.  One  thing my family does like to do is share funny stories and laugh!  I never knew about mom's teen adventures in Acapulco until my grandfather told a story from 50 years ago.  Wow, my mom really attracted attention from the men!

It was nice to get my mind off of my troubles and enjoy great food and companionship.  Even though my head once again gave me sinus trouble, I kept a cheerful disposition.  During the Dallas Cowboy game, grandma and I had a chance to catch up.  She gave me a few lozenges to help my throat and sinus pressure. She's always good at home remedies.

 I am so incredibly thankful for family members who are intelligent, caring, loving, and helpful.  I realize not everyone family is so blessed!  Sometimes I am quick to take family for granted.  I do not feel like driving an hour and a half out of Dallas for a country visit.  I much rather stay home and do whatever I want.  However, during special holidays like Thanksgiving I remember that my grandparents are aging.  Our Lord may decide to take them into the pearly gates at any time.  I should relish in those precious moments I do have with them as well as my mom, sister, cousins, aunts, and uncles.

Thanksgiving is about sharing and caring.  It is a day to stop and be thankful for all of the many blessings in our lives.  Thanksgiving encourages us to look at the positive.  What has happened this year that has been really great?  Who has helped the most?  How have I changed?  What do I thank God for the most?

We should make it a habit to say more THANK-YOUs! Sometimes we are blessed but too stubborn to realize it.  We focus so much on the complaining that the blessings are often ignored. Let's change this!

I thank the Lord for a wonderful family, a terrific new home situation, gainful employment, awesome friends, and the beautiful Catholic faith. Of course, God has a hand in all of this and so much more.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment