Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Christ, King of the Universe


The Solemnity Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe

Gospel of John 18:33B - 37

Jesus answered, "You say I am a king. For this I was born and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice."


[My apologies for the delay in posting  this past Sunday's meditation.  I hope to write more during the Advent and Christmas seasons. I appreciate those who read my blog faithfully!  -J.]


When I think of the word "universe" I conjure up images of stars and galaxies far away.  Meteors shower and the moon eclipses in the night sky.  Satellites and space stations float above the earth's atmosphere taking pictures of the mysterious abyss.

Moreover, I think of Miss Universe beauty pageants or Mr. Universe championships.    Miss Universe contestants, faces caked with thick makeup, wear revealing evening gowns.  They give silly answers to interview questions.  Then, Mr. Universe contestants flaunt their biceps and triceps. They are all too proud of their bulk and size.

All of this focus on physical beauty and the entertainment value of human body makes the idea of Jesus Christ as "King of the Universe" difficult to swallow.  Isn't the whole idea of King (or Queen) centered around attractiveness, wealth, and power?  Isn't a King supposed to be someone who is living and breathing?  Isn't a King something that we all wish to be:  King of our families, our careers, our selfish desires and needs?

I recently heard from a priest on Catholic radio:  If we give up our desires we will feel less burdened.  No need to obsess, worry and fear if we want of nothing!  Give complete control over to Jesus Christ Our Lord - King of the Universe - realizing He created and formed us in his holy image.  He has a special plan for each one of us.  When we are open to the movements of the Holy Spirit; when we are open to change; when we are open to spiritual growth amazing things happen!

A Prayer to Christ the King

O Jesus Christ, I acknowledge you as universal King. All that has been made has been created for You. Exercise all Your rights over me. I renew my Baptismal Vows. I renounce Satan, his pomps and his works; I promise to live as a good Christian. And, in particular do I pledge myself to labor, to the best of my ability, for the triumph of the rights of God and of Your Church. Divine Heart of Jesus, to You do I offer my poor services, laboring that all hearts may acknowledge Your sacred kingship, and that thus the reign of Your peace be established throughout the whole universe. Amen.


-J.







No comments:

Post a Comment