Monday, October 12, 2015

The Sad and the Unexpected





Sunday  Today, I'm spending the afternoon with family.  We just finished a delicious home cooked meal, telling stories and sharing laughs around the  table.  It's fun to take my new car "Silver Foxy" out on her first mini road trip about 60 miles east of Dallas.  I feel so much peace out in the good ol' country, surrounded by the beauty of the cedar trees.

As I sit on the patio listening to the wind chimes with the Autumn wind blowing through my hair, I cannot help but feel sad at unexpected news heard from the morning pulpit.  Our pastor resigned.  Allegations of "inappropriate relationships with adults" stemming from the late 1990s has come to the bishop's attention.  I do not know the exact details of the transgressions; honestly I really rather NOT know.  However, I think our Bishop made a prudent judgment to pull Father off priestly duties without a reassignment. What breaks my heart is  that our "former" pastor grew up in the parish.  He was an altar boy and his family very prominent.  So, such a scandal is even more intolerable. 

I will miss our pastor's excellent homilies and humor.  However, I will not miss the moodiness and rudeness he displayed at times.  I always thought stress caused his behavior.  However, now that I hear  the allegations I can see other reasons why he acted the way he did.  Hiding deep rooted secrets is difficult for any human being, regardless if  a  highly public figure or closed in hermit.

We all make mistakes and do things we regret.  Many times such errors in judgment come back and bite us.  I forgive our pastor for the wrong doing, and I hope those he interacted with forgive him, too.  Temptations are real as the devil likes to attack us at our weakest points.  Our clergy are some of the most vulnerable.

I will always keep our former pastor in my prayers.  I think deep down he is a good, kind man.  But, for whatever reason he chose to break his vows to God and the Church.  I hope he can get the help and support he needs for a smooth transition to laity. 

In the meantime, the Bishop is assigning a new pastor.  I'm a little nervous who it will be.  However, I am confident the Holy Spirit will bring us the right shepherd to feed the flock.

Saint Jude, Pray for Us!
-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment