Saturday, October 17, 2015

Survey Says

Memorial of Saint Ignatius of Antioch, Bishop and Martyr



Everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but the one who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. When they take you before synagogues and before rulers and authorities, do not worry about how or what your defense will be or about what you are to say.  For the Holy Spirit will teach you at that moment what you should say.”



Survey Says Almost every time I purchase something, or interact with someone, I am asked to complete a survey.  I've lived in my new apartment less than a month and the management company has already sent out 3 surveys asking me to rate my move-in experience and maintenance requests.  The auto company called about my car buying experience and then followed up with an online survey. Even my employer asked me to complete a "quick" survey rating  my boss' job performance.  


I feel like our society is bombarded with never-ending surveys! What if I rated a person or experience poorly? Will my opinion change anything?  I understand companies want to ensure satisfied customers, but being asked to complete a survey after purchasing a bag of dog food, making a cable bill inquiry, or even signing a new lease agreement is annoying.  Most people will only take the effort  to fill out a survey if they have something negative to say.  Personally, I rather fill out a digitized comment card when I have a truly awesome experience. Otherwise, I simply "delete" the email and go on with my business hoping one of those survey reminder messages doesn't appear in my inbox the next day.... 

 If I like something, I will buy it again.  If I don't like something, I will tell my friends to stay away! 


Rating Jesus   If the Pharisees and Scribes completed a survey on how well Jesus follows the Law he would receive a 1 -"Poor" rating with comments like:  "He blasphemes!  Traitor of Moses! Friend of sinners!"  Alternatively, a follower miraculously healed by Our Lord would rate him a "5"- "Excellent" making comments such as: "He healed me!  He loves all of us regardless of our sinfulness.  He's so warm, loving and compassionate."  I bet the woman Jesus referred to as a dog or the deaf man who was spit on twice might put down a 3.5 or 4 just because....

How would you rate Jesus on a scale from 1 to 5?  Hopefully most of us reading this blog would select a 5 with no heavy thought. However, those who question their belief in God may not even know what to select.  Questions come to mind:  Isn't Jesus some guy from the past who performed miracles and got killed for it? How is he relevant in my life now?  All of this talk about loving your enemies is a crock, isn't it?

Surveys aside, we can choose to love Christ and follow his Commandments, or we can abandon him by the waste side.  Sadly so many people in our modern day culture have little time for God or religion.  We all notice it within our empty pews, social engagements, and liberal media.  How can we convince lapsed Catholics to return to the church?  How can we influence society so they will not abandon religious practice all together in exchange for an "anything goes" lifestyle?

Today is the feast day of Saint Ignatius of Antioch.  Tradition has it the child the gospel writer Mark refers to in Mark 9:37 is actually Saint Ignatius of Antioch:  Whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me.  Even in modern day times, Saint Ignatius writings still inspire the faithful.

"I am God's wheat, and I shall be ground by the teeth of beasts, that I may become the pure bread of Christ." -Saint Ignatius of Antioch
Saint Ignatius of Antioch, Pray for Us!

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment