Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Hoarder or Martyr


Memorial of Saints John de Brébeuf and Isaac Jogues, Priests, and Companions, Martyrs

Gospel of Luke 12:13-21

There was a rich man whose land produced a bountiful harvest. He asked himself, ‘What shall I do, for I do not have space to store my harvest?’ And he said, ‘This is what I shall do: I shall tear down my barns and build larger ones.There I shall store all my grain and other goods and I shall say to myself, “Now as for you,  you have so many good things stored up for many years, rest, eat, drink, be merry!”’

When I read the parable of the rich man storing up grain in a barn, I think of the television show "Hoarders."  The reality series is hard for me to watch.  I cannot understand why anyone thinks piles of junk and filth are priceless treasures.  Obviously suffering from mental illness, the "hoarders" think their lives are normal.  Yet, they spend years alone with their possessions, and even animals, unable to survive in the outside world.

As I prepared for the home sale, I didn't want to hoard my stuff!  I donated at least two car loads full of unwanted items to the Saint Vincent de Paul Society Thrift Store.  In my mind, I wished to share my treasures.  Why keep my bed linens, clothing, and household goods stuck in a closet or in the back of a kitchen cabinet when someone else can use them?

For me, de-cluttering is cathartic; getting rid of the old is cleansing.  No way my apartment would be as comfortable and inviting if I kept every single piece of furniture or household item.  I'd feel cramped and trapped.  Not my style at all!  I like organization and purpose.

What made the rich man desire to build a bigger barn for all of his good?  Greed!  He wanted to be assured a many years of comfort, storing up his "profits" so as to not have to worry about next year's harvest.  His greed blinded him to the facts:  Everything in life has an expiration date.  Food and drink spoil.  Money runs out. Storing up many possessions doesn't ensure happiness. 

Today we celebrate the memorial of Jesuit Saints John de Brebeur, Isaac Jogues, and companions.  They were captured and slain by the Iroquois Indians.  Becoming a martyr for Christ made more sense to them then hoarding the good news.  They felt the call to preach to the natives despite the dangers involved.  Sacrifice meant preparing one's heart and mind for death knowing fair well that not everyone will accept the Truth of Christ.

Do you hoard the Christian faith or share it abundantly?  Are you willing to become a martyr for Jesus Christ and his Church?  Which role will you choose?

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment