Monday, September 7, 2015

When Doors Open

Twenty-Third Sunday in Ordinary Time

Gospel of Mark 7:31-37


And people brought to him a deaf man who had a speech impediment and begged him to lay his hand on him. He took him off by himself away from the crowd. He put his finger into the man’s ears and, spitting, touched his tongue; then he looked up to heaven and groaned, and said to him, “Ephphatha!”—that is, “Be opened!”— And immediately the man’s ears were opened, his speech impediment was removed, snd he spoke plainly.

Be opened!  I read these words in today's gospel and immediately think of doors opening.  Not just any regular door, but a door to growth and change. 

We sit in front of doors knock, knock, knocking away.  We are sick and tired of our mundane lives.  Our jobs bore us.  Our marriages depress us.  Our children demand too much of us.  Our finances are in shambles.  We look for ways out.  Yet, nothing changes.  We stand in front of a large steel metal door poking and prodding at it. We try to blow torch it apart or drill holes through the hinges.  The door  just doesn't budge.  What can we do to progress and move forward?  Will be stuck in the same old rut forever?

Consent to God's Will!  When we let go, suddenly things change course.  When we pray for God's inner guidance, he sends us people and situations as tools. We may not quite understand how a connection will benefit us in the future. But, everything he gives (and even takes away) is for a divine purpose.

For example, back in 2008 I attended the Diocese of Dallas Annual Bishop's Pro-Life Dinner.  I sat by a lovely couple who happened to be successful real estate agents in the area.  Two years later I decided it was the right time to purchase a home.  I happened to keep the couple's business card.  I sent them an email, and they remembered me from the dinner.  They have been my agents ever since helping me purchase my home five years ago....and now sell it this month!

God is good!  God works on our behalf in ways that may not be so obvious.  We just have to pay close attention and be aware of everything that happens to us.  Whenever a door closes, another will open.  However, we cannot force it.

I knew it was time to sell my home when four of my friends, including my sister, commented how much money I could save living closer to work.  I had no idea the real estate market was booming in my area until I contacted my real estate agent.  She told me my house would sell within a week with multiple offers.  I must admit at first I was sceptical.  My small little starter home selling quick?  Are you kidding me?  My front yard and fence look terrible.  Plus, my home is way too small.  No way!

As I wrote earlier, I received an offer the first day on the market even though it  fell through after one day.  A 2nd offer followed.  However, I told my real estate agent to relist the house for another week just to see if anything better presented itself.

I thought God opened the door for a brief moment but then slammed it shut!  I cursed him in my heart, asking him why he got my hopes up and then suddenly ripped away those buyers.  How could you, God?  Everybody else gets their homes sold in a flash.  Why can't I be like them?  Uh!  So tired of disappointment!

By Tuesday evening, a 3rd offer on my home came through. It was for above asking price!  Again, the buyer wrote me a letter, but this time I could personally relate.  The buyer is a single woman who works from home half the time.  She said that she has been looking for the perfect home since March.  She walked inside my house and felt peace and harmony.  She could tell I took pride in home ownership.  She is involved in church ministry where she aids young women in crisis.  I could tell from her writing she was an articulate woman of faith.  Wow!  I do not know if this woman is a Catholic.  It really does not matter.  All I know is that I love the idea of selling my home to a good person, someone I know will take good care of it as she minsters to others.

The home inspection went well with only three minor repairs. My hard work has paid off!  I've trashed, recycled, fixed, cleaned, and staged.  Obviously, my faith and love for Christ lives through these wall.  Sooo awesome!

The doors are now wide open.  A new horizon awaits as I walk through the threshhold.  Jesus grabs me by the hands.  Mary smiles beside her son.  I look forward to a new chapter in my life.

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment