Saturday, September 5, 2015

Be Sold on Christ!



Saturday of the Twenty-Second Week in Ordinary Time


(Click Here for Readings)


You once were alienated and hostile in mind because of evil deeds; God has now reconciled you in the fleshly Body of Christ through his death, to present you holy, without blemish, and irreproachable before him, provided that you persevere in the faith, firmly grounded, stable,
and not shifting from the hope of the Gospel that you heard…


Monday evening at 5 pm.  As I type this meditation, I sit on a shady bench in a neighborhood park.  The realtor is currently showing my home to a potential buyer. This is the 24th showing in the last five days....

My dog stares at me with her big brown eyes as I continue to type on my smartphone.

"Mommy, let's go for a walk so I can bark at those ducks in the pond!"  

"Yes, we will do that in a few minutes, my precious fur baby. Give mommy a few more minutes to think." 


Selling a home is no easy endeavor.  It's physically, mentally and emotionally demanding.  Am I doing the right thing?  Is God opening a new door or am I meant to stay where I'm at?

I received a full-price offer the first day the house went the market.   Attached to the contract was a personalized letter with the couple's family photo. They fell in love with the house.  Perfect size and location. Great neighborhood.  Close to the commuter rail.  A direct blessing from God after weeks of prayer and search.

The letter pulled at my heartstrings, so I signed the contract thinking we'd start the inspection process right away with closing in late September.  I posted "House Sold!" to all of my friends on Facebook.  I placed a holding deposit on a gorgeous new apartment less than 4 miles from work.  Everything seemed to move along perfectly. I'd be part of the statistics with a home sell in less than 4 days! 

Then the call came in Monday morning.  The buyers bailed of the contract stating they found another home.  Unbelievable!  I just blabbed all over the Internet about my home selling. Talk about jumping the gun and making preparations without the sale finalized.  Thank the Lord I was able to cancel my leasing application and receive a full deposit refund. What naivety and foolishness.  I did everything wrong allowing my emotions and impatience to fog my decision making.

"Why did I decide to skip Mass on Sunday? Maybe the buyers would not terminated the contract!" Wrong thinking again, Jennifer! God is not punishing me.  Yes, he's disappointed I did not visit him at the Eucharistic table.  I could have received peace needed in times of stress.

Dear Jesus, I'm so sorry for neglecting you.  I promise to visit you in confession soon!

Despite the disappointment and anxiety, Our Lord has another plan in mind for my home. The timing just isn't right.  Yes, I hear stories of fabulous homes selling in two days at above asking price.  I hear about the "hot" housing market.  None of this matters.  If I am meant to move, the home will sell.  I just need to remain patient.  God has a unique path prepared especially for me that is like no other.

My dog and I walk around the park, under the trees and around the pond.  Nice breeze for a hot summer's day.  I think everything will work out in the end.  I just need to remain hopeful and firmly grounded in the Lord.   Be sold on Christ!  No matter what happens I'm in good hands.  



“Things are never as they seem. A person. A Mark. A statement. They are always deeper than we perceive, like walking in the ocean and suddenly dipping under the surface because the bottom has disappeared beneath your feet. The water appears shallow until you are suddenly flailing around beneath the surface, desperately searching for stable ground once again.”

- Kelseyleigh Reber, Young Adult Author


-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment