Sunday, May 6, 2012

Vine & Branches

Jesus said to his disciples:  I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower.  He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and every one that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit.  You are already pruned because of the word that I spoke to you.  Remain in me, as I remain in you.......I am the vine, you are the branches.  Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing."  -John 15:  1-8

This weekend I began my Spring/Summer transformation of the flower beds around my house.  I planted Pentas, Vincas, and a variety of herbs in the sunny areas contrasted by Impatiens, Coleus, and Hosta in the shady areas.  I love digging in the dirt!  I love the beauty of the flowers and the smells of the herbs.  I love arranging my new plantings in attractive ways.  Of course, along with planting the beautiful flowers comes the pruning of my over-grown Crape Myrtles and an ugly mystery tree that rooted right along the fence line.  Its gigantic leaves overhang the neighbor's house.  I love planting pretty flowers but pruning the trees is a major pain.

I think of the times in my life when things are going great.  I'm like the freshly planted flower who's rooted in rich soil with ample soil, water, and temperature.  I'm a Spring "annual" who's blooming profusely for 3-4 months.  I'm rooted in the soil (my life) with all of the right conditions for growth (job going well, staying healthy, a little extra cash in the bank.).  I'm happy as a camper thinking to myself, "Thanks God for all of your help!  Things are going great!  I don't really need you right now..."  Then all of the sudden I come across frustrations, irritations, boredom, temptations.  I'm like the once fresh flower that's now beginning to wilt.  I'm at the end of my life span as an "annual."  The weather is getting too hot and dry.  The water is drying up.  I feel like I'm drying up spiritually!  This is when I need God.  Why on earth didn't I desire him when all things were going well?  Why now do I beg for his mercy when things aren't so peachy?  Why can't I learn to remain in Him at all times during the good and the bad?

Then I think of the times when I'm like a pruned branch of a tree.  I became overgrown and langly with sins.  Through the Sacrament of Penance, the Lord prunes away the deadness and re-shapes me into a beautiful woman with his love and forgiveness.  I'm now much closer to the Lord = the trunk of the tree!  I can begin to bear holier fruit, blossom, and seek more nutrients from the Lord.

 I should not remain isolated from the Lord.  I should seek his guidance at all times through thick and thin.  Be willing to be pruned to stay connect to God and less connected to my own desires.

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment