Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Mary the Mediatrix

And Mary said: "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior."
-Luke 1:46-47

Mary said, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord.  May it be done to me according to your word."
-Luke 1:38


As the month of May comes to a close, I reflect on the role of the Blessed Virgin Mary in my life.  May is considered a special month of Devotion to Mary, the Mother of God.  I decided to create a special little "Mary's Prayer Garden" on my patio.  I placed a small outdoor statue and filled the area with pink Rose Moss, Pentas, Autumn Sage, and Oregano.  It's fairly simple and nothing very expensive to put together.  I really enjoy looking at it everytime I go outside.  The tiny little Rose Moss flowers close at night and open again during the day's sunshine.  Right above my Mary statue is my gorgeous Crape Myrtle tree.  It's loaded with large blooming pink blossoms.  All of my plants are doing exceptionally well with the plentiful rains we've enjoyed this Spring.

I came across the term "Mary the Mediatrix" as I've been reading through St. Louis de Montfort's writings including True Devotion.  I thought this was an interesting term and such a powerful  description for Mary's role as intercessor or "mediator" between Jesus and myself.  I know many Protestants do not understand why Catholics are so hung-up about Mary.  Many think we idol worship Mary and the Saints!  Absolutely not!  We just pray to ask them for their help and intercession.  Then they send up our prayers to the Lord! 

I try to pray my rosary daily.  The days I do set aside 15 minutes to go through the mysteries I feel at peace.  I notice a huge difference on days when I neglect my rosary:  Much more tension, stress and irritability.  Mary and her rosary provides me the graces to get through the day knowing that she and our Lord are right there by my side.  The rosary keeps me mindful of the greatness of the Lord.  Following Mary's example I can learn to accept what is done to me according to your [God's] word.

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment