Friday, June 6, 2014

Do You Love Me?

Friday of the Seventh Week of Easter

(Click Here for Readings)


Gospel of John 21:15-19

“Do you love me?” and he said to him,“Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep. Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger,you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted; but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.”He said this signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God. And when he had said this, he said to him, “Follow me.”

When you grow old  After reading this passage, my grandparents came to mind.  They are both in their 80's.  My grandfather, who turned 88 this past February, isn't feeling well.  He's depressed and already anticipating death.  It doesn't help that he's experienced several falls over the last few weeks, forcing him to use a walker.  Granddaddy is fiercely independent and active; yet, stubborn in many ways.  He hates being crippled. We want him to see a regular physician for his leg issues, but he insists on going to the VA hospital for "free" treatment.  (With all of the controversy of the VA right now, this is not a good idea.)  I told my mother that this Father's Day we need to "go-all-out" for granddaddy.  Pamper him with attention and affection.  Patiently listen to his old stories even if we've heard them before.  As a Christian, as well as the oldest granddaughter, I feel it's my duty to "feed the lamb" who has been a huge role model in my life.  Feed my grandfather love, compassion, warmth, and charity.  I don't want him to think that life is ending soon.  Life is only beginning. In fact, when he passes on, which will be much later than sooner, he will make it into heaven. No more pain and discomfort.  No more worry about what the future holds.  God will be there to smother my grandfather with tremendous love. Every day I pray for my grandfather.  I hope he will be with us for many more years to come.  

Do you love me?  As we age, we begin to notice the graying hair, the lines under our eyes, and the sagging skin.  We get depressed thinking, "Does anyone still love me looking so old and wrinkly?  Does anyone even know that I exist?"  

Our Lord loves each one of us no matter if we are young or old.  He created us in his image.  He sees us as something good and beautiful.  Society clearly favors the young and sophisticated.  However, we should NEVER discount the elderly.  They are so full of wisdom and experience.  Throughout their years, they have faced hardships that the younger generation could not even fathom.  My grandparents grew up in the Great Depression.  My grandfather fought in World War II.  They were never rich, but they lived content and happy.  I love talking to them about their childhood experiences.  At times when I want to mumble and grumble at how hard my life is, I just think about the era my grandparents lived in.  Talk about tough!  

Next time you see an elderly person in a store or on a street corner, give them a smile and say hello.  Don't look away, discounting them as if they are nothing.  If our Lord thinks they are worthy, so should we.  It's important as the younger generation to learn as much as we can from those who are older.  Many of the elderly are deeply devoted to Christ.  When I attend Daily Mass at my home parish, I'm usually one of the minority.  Seniors make up the majority of attendees.  This is such an outstanding example of devout faith!  

Love Christ.  Love Others. Be generous with your time and attention to the older men and women in your community.

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment