Thursday, June 26, 2014

Sandpaper & Sand Castles

Thursday of the Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time

(Click Here for Readings)

Gospel of Matthew 7:21-29


“Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock. The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house.
But it did not collapse; it had been set solidly on rock. And everyone who listens to these words of mine but does not act on them will be like a fool who built his house on sand. The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house. And it collapsed and was completely ruined.”

Words like sandpaper  Has a person ever said something that caught you off guard -- revelations you didn't think he or she knew about?  Has anyone ever been brutally honest about your behavior, something that needs to change?  Such words feel like sandpaper scratching the surface of the skin. The words leave you feeling numb and raw.  You can't figure out why the "help" couldn't be delivered in a kinder manner. Recently, an acquaintance said to me: "You are always so negative. You're like a teeter totter.  One day things are good and the next bad...."  I was floored, shocked out of my pants, that someone I admire and respect could say something so abrasive. It was a wake up call, that's for sure.  A wake up call that I need to shape-up my outlook on life: Stop feeling sorry for myself, and stop comparing myself to others. Build my life based on solid rock, not the sands of self-pity.  

Sandcastles collapse  When I'm too focused on my own thoughts and feelings, I ignore the wise words of Christ.  I build a sandcastle composed of everything I wish I possessed - a husband, children, a better career, more retirement savings, or even a different temperament.  With the slightest wind of anxiety, flood of fear, or rain of tears my beautiful sandcastle collapses and is whisked away back into the ocean.  It's as if I erased a prized etch-a-sketch masterpiece: An imaginary piece of artwork that is more idealistic than realistic.  Just like the sands of time tick away in an hour glass so does my life.  When life is wasted worrying about things I wish I had instead of appreciating God's blessings I only feed unhappiness.  

Solid rock  When I begin to focus away from myself and become more "in tune" with God's words of encouragement, love, and self-sacrifice I build a life on solid rock.  I realize that God has given me special gifts that he wants me to use in a loving way.  He wants me to act in ways that are more Christian-like.  I'm a grown adult responsible for my own happiness.  I'm no longer a whiny, cry baby child who throws a temper tantrum because her little sand castle got blown away by the wind.  In fact, with the Lord as my guide, my rock castle will be built strong and sturdy. I don't have to worry about wind or rain washing it away.  The solid rock turns into a mighty fortress that provides me with the protection and strength to live a holy life.

Sandcastles are fun to make and pretty to look at but only short lasting.  By contrast, castles made from solid rock are permanent and long standing.  Not even the greatest tragedy or hurt will break them apart.  God provides us with the material on which to build our life.  Do we choose sand or solid rock? 

-J.



No comments:

Post a Comment