Sunday, July 5, 2015

Strength Through Weakness

Fourteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
2 Corinthians 12:7-10



Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and constraints, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

Sunday 11 a.m.  This morning I'm writing my post live from the Dallas Arboretum.  I find the beauty of nature aids meditation.  I'm sitting here on a bench in the Fern Dell which is my favorite of all the gardens.  A  breeze passes over my arms and shoulders, gentle and refreshing enough to cut through the humidity.  Once I finish typing this post, I will start one of my hour long walks.  Garden therapy is the best medicine....

My heart is heavy right now as I think about a friend of the family who recently tried to commit suicide.  She is still alive, but as a result of an overdose of pills is now in a state of liver failure.  This widow is a mother of two grown children and several grandchildren. The recent passing of her husband of 30 years left her in such horrific grief that suicide seemed like the best option. The pain just too much to bear.

Most people say those who attempt suicide are selfish.  Yes, there is some truth in this.  However, the suicidal person sees  things differently.  They are desperately crying out for help and need compassion instead of judgment.

Suicide is usually a result of no longer being able to cope with weakness.  These sad souls feel like death is the only way to relieve sickness, financial woes, addictions, or grief.  They do not understand that through weakness lies strength.  This strength comes from God himself.  He never wants  his children in despair.  He desperately wants them to turn to Him in time of need, especially when life appears worthless.  One thing so awesome about the Church is that there are people available to help those experiencing debiliating obstacles. Furthermore, the Sacraments, especially the Holy Eucharist,  provides  the strength to persevere when everything appears empty and lost.

I look at the beautiful ferns and cypress trees and think about how many people walk through this garden in awe of its splendor.  Many visit the Arboretum with their own brand of weaknesses and struggles.  Like Saint Paul, they want them to go away.  However, these weaknesses remain attached, well rooted in the soul's soil ready to be composted and revitalized into splendid growth.

Remember strength lies within our weaknesses.  We grow and mature into much better Christians when we acknowledge our imperfections and hand over full control to God. Open our hearts to the Lord's healing touch!  Remember, we are not alone in our weaknesses, pains, and failures.  God is along with us on our earthly journey, and he hopes to meet us in heaven some day.  

-J.



No comments:

Post a Comment