Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Glad Tidings of Comfort & Joy

Wednesday of the Fourth Week of Advent
Christmas Eve 2014

(Click Here for Readings)

Gospel of Luke 1:67-79


Zechariah his father, filled with the Holy Spirit, prophesied, saying:

“Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel; for he has come to his people and set them free. He has raised up for us a mighty Savior, born of the house of his servant David. Through his prophets he promised of old
that he would save us from our enemies, from the hands of all who hate us. He promised to show mercy to our fathers and to remember his holy covenant....”

I recently read in the NY Times that President Obama plans to lift the trade embargo against Cuba which has been in place for over 54 years. Wow...What a great blessing for the people of Cuba who may freely trade with the United States, stimulating their impoverished economy.  Praise the Lord!  Hopefully, in 2015 Cubans will experience comfort and joy knowing Fidel's militant reign has come to an end, and they can experience new freedom.  God saves us from our enemies even if it takes years of hardship and turmoil.

On Christmas Eve, my mother and I celebrate with a gift exchange and dinner over at her home. Of course, I always bring my Doxie Cayenne.  She loves to feast on leftovers if she can get a hold of them!  In past years, I used to attend Christmas Eve mass.  Not very fond of crowds, with people saving pews and getting easily miffed if you sit in "their family's row," I opt for the first mass of the day Christmas morning.  I find this not only less stressful but much more reverent.  I love taking communion at Christmas dawn.  It makes the celebration of Christ's birth just that much more special!

Free to worship without fear  One thing I'm most grateful for is freedom of religion here in America.  I know I will not be subjected to abuse and torture because I'm a Catholic.  I know I will not be forced to renounce God.  I think about the Christians throughout the world who have to celebrate Christmas in private, risking bodily harm.  God never intended his children to suffer so much hate and oppression because of their beliefs in Him.  But, evil is part of the world.  Just look at the torture Christ went through for our own salvation!  It's no easy task being a Christian, but with God's strength we can withstand any persecution thrown in our direction.  We do not have to fear when we have genuine faith in the Lord.


Glad Tidings of Comfort & Joy to You and Your family!  Happy Christmas!

-J.






No comments:

Post a Comment