Sunday, November 16, 2014

Spiritual Snippet -- "Jesus, Help Me!" Prayer


Yesterday, I was excited to open a package I ordered from Amazon - a full volume set of "The Liturgy of the Hours."  I've always wanted one but couldn't afford to buy a new set, so I found a used one at a good price. 

As I was flipping through the pages of each book, I noticed the previous owner had inserted several prayer cards.  I considered this an added "bonus" knowing a crisp clean new set of books wouldn't contain such cards.  

One prayer card really struck an accord with me.  On the front is a black and white image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, similar to the picture above.  On the back are the words to the prayer:

JESUS, HELP ME!  

IN EVERY need let me come to Thee with humble trust, saying † Jesus, help me! 
In all my doubts, perplexities and temptations † Jesus, help me! 
 In hours of loneliness, weariness and trials † Jesus, help me! 
In the failure of my plans and hopes; in disappoints, troubles and sorrows † Jesus, help me! 
When others fail me, and Thy Grace alone can assist me † Jesus, help me! 
When I throw myself on Thy Tender Love as Father and Savior † Jesus, help me!  
When my heart is cast down by failure, at seeing no good come from my efforts † Jesus, help me!  
When I feel impatient, and my cross irritates me † Jesus, help me!  
When I am ill, and my head and hands cannot work and I am lonely † Jesus, help me! 
 Always, always, in spite of weakness, falls, and shortcomings over every kind † Jesus, help me and never forsake me!

This prayer could not be more applicable to my own life and the life of so many others.  I'm disappointed when things don't go the way I expect them to causing irritability.  My crosses, shortcomings, weakness, and constant falls wear me down.  I so want to be perfect in God's eyes; yet, I can't seem to quite get there.  I figure I won't ever in this short time on earth.  All I can do is keep trekking through the waters of suffering, praying  Jesus, Help Me!

-J.




No comments:

Post a Comment