Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Memorial of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

(Click Here for Readings)


Gospel of Luke 19:45-48



Jesus entered the temple area and proceeded to drive out those who were selling things, saying to them, “It is written, My house shall be a house of prayer, but you have made it a den of thieves.”

Today, we celebrate the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the temple.  Most of us are more familiar with Jesus' presentation in the temple, as recited in the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary.  But, we forget that the Virgin Mary underwent the same Jewish ritual.  I'm sure Joachim and Ann presented two doves in exchange for the high priest's blessing.

The canonical scriptures do not document the presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  It's become  more of a Catholic tradition.  Since we cannot find the story in scripture, I wonder if Simeon performed the ceremony.  He was an old man by the time Jesus was born.  Mary was 13-14 years of age when she gave birth to Our Lord, so it makes sense Simeon would've been alive.  Hmmmm.....

When praying my rosary, I sometimes venture away from the standard Mysteries and customize my prayers in a different way.  I think adding the Presentation of the BVM as one of the meditations is an interesting adaptation......

Today, my co-worker showed me a gorgeous rosary one of assembly ladies gave to her as a present.  It was handmade of large brown beads and a beautiful crystal crucifix.  I rubbed it in my fingers feeling the heavy weight of it.  I asked my co-worker, "Have you ever prayed the rosary? It is such a great way to relax and contemplate."  She answer, "No, not at all.  I'm not Catholic.  I have absolutely no clue what to say!"  So I offered to teach her some time.  She accepted the invite and actually looks forward to learning how to pray the mysteries.

I know praying the rosary can have a powerful, healing effect..... About fifteen minutes later, after we spoke, my coworker came back to the lab with tears in her eyes.  "Jennifer, you won't believe what happened!  One of the guys who works in the warehouse spoke to me for the first time in over 2 years!  We had a falling out, and I never understood why he was mad at me.  Now he wants to talk things out!"  WOW...All of this happened within only an hour after receiving the rosary!!  I told my coworker that the Holy Spirit was definitely working miracles today!  Of course, I think the Blessed Virgin Mary was doing her part, too.  I don't think it's a coincidence all of this happened on today's feast day!

God works miracles, most of the time in unexpected ways.  I pray that my coworkers can make amends and let pass hurts be gone.

Hail Mary, Full of Grace!

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment