Sunday, July 10, 2011

Ring, Ring.... God's Calling!

I've always been a techie gal, interested in the latest and greatest new electronic gadget.  I own a desktop, two laptops, an iPad 2, and now a Samsung Epic 4G smartphone.  I admit the electronic world has made life much easier. I can pay my bills online in a snap without the expense of a postage stamp. Communication is easier between friends and family. Research and study of topics of interest is instantly available.....

However, I sometimes ask myself:  How does all of this electronic "stuff" affect my relationship with God?  Am I spending too much time surfing the Internet instead of praying?  Am I texting a friend, gossiping about this person and that person forgetting to "love your own neighbor as yourself"?  Do I spend too much time reading news stories, blogs, etc. that are not Christ-focused?  Do I isolate myself from friends, family, GOD, by too much electronic use? 

One thing I've started doing to make good use of my love for technology is to read spiritual books through the Amazon Kindle.  Also, I downloaded the excellent "Liturgy of the Hours" app on my iPad containing audio and full text of each office.  Even on my smartphone I installed a Catholic Prayers that contains the rosary, litanies, standard prayers, etc.  Let's just say there's no excuse for me NOT to pray or spend time with our Lord.

I set my new phone on the "heaven" ring tone.   Everytime it rings I say a quick little prayer to Our Lord and the Blessed Mother.  I know God is "calling" me to use technology wisely and in moderation. 

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment