Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Little Devils in the Workplace

I'm sure all of us at one time or another have encountered annoying people in the workplace. In my case, it's been over 11 years of annoying co-workers! I say to myself that dealing with my co-workers is a major "cross" God has burdened me with for the soul purpose of strenghtening my character.

Some days are better than others when it comes to the ogres in the workplace. One gentleman
in particular absolutely hates my guts. Its really disheartening because at one time we were friends. We ate lunch together, chat on the phone, text, email, etc. But then something happened. He perceived that I intentionally tried to get him fired. From that point forward, he stopped speaking to me. Whenever the mood strikes, he annoys me by purposely jamming the copy machine when I'm using it, intentionally parking his car in my corner spot, and saying hello to everybody around BUT me. For months, I tried to reconcile and talk to this man. I even apologized for offending him. No change. In fact, some days he looks at me with such contempt and anger. I picture him as the devil with smoke coming out of his ears and his pitchfork jamming me in both eyes! He considers me the hypocrite who backstabbed him in the back and can never be trusted again!

As a Christian, I try to think how Jesus would handle this situation. Firstly, he would love this man and pray for the softening of his callused heart. Jesus would treat my co-worker with respect and professionalism, not becoming easily angered or revengeful at annoying behavior. Thirdly, he would give the man space allowing his Holy Spirit to slowly work through him and in him. I may not ever be forgiven for the hurt and anger I've afflicted on my co-worker, but at least in my heart I can strive to be kind towards him. Not an easy task considering his childish, game-playing behavior.

May the Lord bless us, protect us from evil and bring everlasting life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment