Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Just for Show and Tell

Tuesday of the Second Week of Lent

Gospel of Matthew 23:1-12
The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses. Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example. For they preach but they do not practice. They tie up heavy burdens hard to carry and lay them on people’s shoulders, but they will not lift a finger to move them. All their works are performed to be seen."



Remember "Show and Tell" days as a kid?  The one time in the week when we brought something really cool to show off to our teacher and other classmates.  Maybe the object included a favorite book, doll, or toy.  Perhaps we brought our pet hamster, dog, or even mommy or daddy, especially if he/she worked as a doctor or fireman!  As a young child, I never felt jealous of someone else's prized possessions or abilities.  I was happy and content with my own stuff.   Competition didn't exist in my mind, and I never thought of trying to "one up" someone.  Certainly I never knew what arrogance was all about.  

I miss the naivity, innocence, and natural good will I possessed as child.  What changed as I grew older?  Life happened with its endless challenges; ups and downs and inside outs.

I know of people who are naturally prayerful and loving of others.  They never think of themselves but lovingly serve others.  They don't show one bit of pride or vanity. It's as if that childhood innocence stayed with them through adulthood.  I wish I was one of these types of beautiful people!  I sometimes think God shuffled a deck of cards and I drew the Joker.  I have to work hard every single day to tame my tendency to dwell on me, myself and I.  I don't want to turn into a Scribe or Pharisee, tooting my own horn - hogging all of the attention and  casting judgment - when others need compassion, prayers, and support!   How can I stop it?  It will take change in the way I think.  It will involve kind thoughts about others.  It will take trust in God, through prayer and penance, to be more self-donating and less self-absorbed.

Show and tell godly things.  Don't just show and tell for personal rewards.

Keep praying!  Keep meditating!  Keep faith, hope and love alive!

-J.











No comments:

Post a Comment