Sunday, March 29, 2015

Hosanna in the Highest!

Palm Sunday of the Lord's Passion 2015

Gospel of Mark 11:1-10

So they brought the colt to Jesus and put their cloaks over it. And he sat on it. Many people spread their cloaks on the road, and others spread leafy branches that they had cut from the fields. Those preceding him as well as those following kept crying out: “Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Blessed is the kingdom of our father David that is to come! Hosanna in the highest!”


"With palms let us welcome the Lord as he comes, with songs and hymns let us run to meet him, as we offer him our joyful worship and sing:  Blessed be the Lord!"  - Palm Sunday Morning Prayer, Canticle of Zechariah Antiphon 

I woke up this morning earlier than usual.  I didn't want to miss our special 7:15 am Mass for Palm Sunday. This is the first year in nearly five years I didn't lector or serve communion.  In fact, for the entire stretch of Holy Week I'm not scheduled to volunteer at any of the Triduum masses.  The Lord calls me to take a break and let others serve.  Enjoy the beautiful liturgies as a member of the congregation without any special duties.

The spotlight of Holy Week is on Jesus Christ and His Passion!  Listen, observe, feel, and intimately experience Our Lord in his final days on earth.

I really love the Palm Sunday Passion readings.  They vary from year to year depending on the liturgical cycle.  This year we read from the Gospel of Mark which is the shortest, even though it may seem just as long as the other gospel versions. 

Every year a special part of the Passion reading peaks my interest.  This year I felt drawn to meditate on the request Jesus asked of his disciples as he prayed in Gethsemane: 

"My soul is sorrowful even to death.  Remain here and keep watch."  

Sadly Peter, James and John keep dosing off!!  They can't stay awake long enough to watch the Lord for even one hour!  Personally, if I was a disciple and realized Jesus was only a few days away from death I'd watch him like a hawk!  I'd pray with him, keeping vigil long into the wee hours of the night. 

The "keeping watch" at Gethesemane reminds me of the spending one hour in adoration in front of the Blessed Sacrament.  In adoration, we can intimately speak with the Lord, sharing with him our triumphs and sorrows.  Furthermore, we can pray for others in need.  Our Lord loves when we spend time with him.

I hope Catholics throughout the world take time out of their busy schedules to attend Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Vigil/Easter Day liturgies.  They truly are some of the most beautiful masses of the year!  

 Hosanna in the Highest!

-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment