Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A New Perspective




This weekend I've been visiting my girlfriend in Chicago.  I absolutely love the city with its awesome food, cocktails, museums, and night life.  For years I've wanted to move here.  Certainly Chi Town is wonderful in the summertime but winter is another story!

This mini trip away from home has allowed me to view my life from a new perspective.  I've realized I need to make some pretty big changes in order to live a happier and more vibrant life.  Certainly Christ is part of this transition.  If not, changes I make may not be right for me.

First and foremost, I must clean out the garbage that makes me reek of anxiety and worry; stink of hate and resentment; and smell of inaction.  Certain people who do nothing but bring about a sense of worthlessness should get the boot.  I'm only growing older.  I don't have time wasting away my life in relationships which leave me bitter and sour.

Secondly, I absolutely must stop comparing myself to others.  This involves understanding the unique gifts God has blessed me with and how I can use them to the best of my abilities.  When I compare myself to someone younger, someone wealthier, or someone more educated I stay in a depressive funk.  It's wasted energy that should be used to enrich my own life.  Nobody else exactly like me exists on earth. 

Thirdly, I need to get busy living.  I'm at my best when my day is filled with productive activity.  When I wallow in self-pity, and worry about everything going wrong in my life, I miss out on what is going right.  

There's nothing better than getting away from the daily grind.  I find I think much more clearly when I'm in relaxed vacation mode.  Something about staying in a different city, breathing the air, and eating the food is therapeutic.  At least for a few days, I can forget about annoying work or stuff I must take care of around the house.  

Gotta love vacation!

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment