Friday, August 12, 2011

God-Shaped Hole in My Heart

Last Tuesday night, I attended a wonderful presentation on prayer and spirituality as part of the diocesan catechist certification program. We discussed the call to spirituality and the different methods of prayer. I was particularly intriqued by a quote from the 17th century Philosopher and Mathematician Blaise Pascal:  There is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.

How many times in my life have I've used "objects" to make myself feel good: bought a new expensive dress with coordinating shoes and jewelry; engaged in sexual relations with a man out of wedlock; ate a whole package of Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches in one sitting! Each of these things are misshaped pieces to the heart jig saw puzzle. They may be the right size or color but they just don't quite fit in the right spot. On the other hand, when I seek true fulfillment in Christ, his piece fits exactly into the heart-shaped puzzle! He provides all of the sustenance to make life worth living. He's loving and always there to listen to my troubles. Through prayer, I form a a greater, more intimate relationship with our Lord than any material object. Knowing his presence is always near is a mood enhancer, not a mood deflector!

May I learn to always turn to Christ in prayer and meditation whenever my God-shaped heart is not only broken and distressed, but also joyful and happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment