Sunday, July 21, 2013

Hospitality of God's Word



Jesus entered a village where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him.  She had a sister named Mary who sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak.  Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving?"  Luke 10:38

This passage from the Gospel of Luke is one of my favorites.  In this story, Luke highlights Martha and Mary and their interaction with Jesus.   Mary is attentively listening to Jesus speak.  Martha is complaining how she needs help in the kitchen.  She sees Jesus as not caring.  After all, women in those days were supposed to serve the man.  Not sit around and engage in conversation!

I suspect Martha was jealous that Jesus didn't give her the same type of attention.  Martha, so busy serving, didn't realize how Mary was demonstrating hospitality by listening to Jesus' words.  In so listening attentively, she showed willingness to learn from the Master teacher. She loved Jesus and sought comfort from his words.  Why couldn't Martha be more sensitive to this?  Martha is a doer, not a contemplative.  I suspect she felt it was her duty to make sure Jesus' meal was prepared perfectly.

What if Martha didn't feel so over burdened?  She'd be praying in thanksgiving while cooking the meal not at all worried that her sister wasn't helping.  I imagine her later asking Mary, "What did Jesus talk to you about?  I want to hear all the details!  He's such a wonderful teacher!"

I know I need to learn to listen more, pray more, and be more aware of Christ all around me.  Let go of the times when I'm jealous of someone who seems closer to God than I am.  Also, free myself from thinking negatively of others who may not do things to my expectations. I need to become more hospitable in all of my interactions with people as well as the Lord.

-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment