Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pure Joy & Endurance!





My brothers and sisters, count it pure joy when you are involved in every sort of trial. Realize that when your faith is tested this makes for endurance. Let endurance come to its perfection so that you may be fully mature and lacking in nothing.  (James 1:2-4)


When I think of endurance, an image of a marathon runner comes to mind.  A runner will train for weeks, months, even years to condition his body for the ultimate race.  Why put the human body through so much pain - aching muscles, shin splints, and blisters on the feet?  It's for the pure joy of accomplishment!   It's the ability to exclaim:  "I did it!  I completed that marathon.  I achieved my goal!"
 
Endurance is closely associated with sports. Can endurance be linked to our Christian faith as well?  Absolutely!  So many people want to give up when the going gets tough.  (Not everybody thinks they are cut out to be a marathon runner.)  People want to blame religion for everything wrong. ( "As an atheist I can't accept this "Christ" figure as doing anything good in my life.")  Trials are meant as God's way of helping us mature and grow into better human beings.  When thought of in a positive way, trials can bring joy to our lives.  I think of the example of pregnancy and birth. I'm sure most women would agree it's not a very comfortable experience. Childbirth is painful!  However, the immense joy after giving birth makes the endurance worth it all. 
 
Next time we are faced with trials and tribulations, let's try to look at the joyful side to the situation.  Let's look for ways to mature and grow.  Let's use God's gift of endurance to persevere and get through the rough patches.  From my own experience, trials usually don't last for very long.  Usually after I accept them, and endure them patiently, my life calms down.  My faith may be tested during these trials;  however, I know in the end everything will work out.   I lack for nothing believing in Jesus Christ!
 
-J.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment