Thursday, August 4, 2016

Fallen Scraps from Christ's Table

Bella looks like the "Flying Nun" as she
 begs for table scraps.

Wednesday of the Eighteenth Week in Ordinary Time

Gospel of Matthew 15: 21-28

But the woman came and did him homage, saying, “Lord, help me.” He said in reply,
“It is not right to take the food of the children
and throw it to the dogs.”
She said, “Please, Lord, for even the dogs eat the scraps
that fall from the table of their masters.”
Then Jesus said to her in reply,
“O woman, great is your faith!
Let it be done for you as you wish.”
And her daughter was healed from that hour.




Whenever I read this passage from scripture, I am amazed that Jesus can refer to a fellow human being, particularly a woman, as a "dog."  Not very loving, is it?  Maybe Our Lord was experiencing a bad day, tired of the people begging.  Perhaps he just wanted some time alone in peace and quiet.  I guess we will never understand his uncharacteristic reaction.

What I love about the Cannanite woman is her persistence.  Despite being pushed away and ignored, she kept asking our Lord for her daughter's healing. Fallen scraps from Christ's table is all she needed for satisfaction and proof even an outsider can be a believer in Jesus!

Back in February, I adopted a 3 year old piebald miniature dachshund named Bella. Her previous home life was horrible.  Dumped off at an area kill shelter - infested with fleas, tapeworms, and heartworms- it was amazing she survived!  After several months of medical treatment, She is now heartworm free and loves her new home!  Her appetite is huge, so she is always on the lookout for table scraps. ( Mommy wasn't too pleased to discover her Dairy Queen blizzard stolen and licked to the last dregs! Bad poochie!). Her "begging" includes the display of her Flying Nun "airplane" ears!  I think Our Lord brought Bella into my life in order to not only provide me with a furry snuggle buddy but to remind me just how spiritually "filling" life can be.  Bella loves me unconditionally just as much as the Lord does.

The one thing I am most thankful for in life is my faith in Jesus Christ.  If it wasn't for the Church and the "Real presence" in the Holy Eucharist, I'd be lost. Like a wild dog roaming the streets begging for food and eating "scraps", I'd be perpetually hungry without His Presence. Hungry for comfort, hope, love, friendship and unity.  Hungry for spiritual food only available from God!

-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment