Sunday, June 21, 2015

A Rainy Father's Day


Twelfth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Gospel of Mark 4:35-41


Jesus was in the stern, asleep on a cushion.
They woke him and said to him,“Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?” He woke up, rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Quiet! Be still!” The wind ceased and there was great calm.



I'm laying in bed with my cell phone in hand typing today's meditation.  More heavy rain pounds on the roof.  Looks like I cannot make it to Mass this morning.  I just do not feel safe driving in this downpour. My mom and I are scheduled to go out to the country for a family celebration.  Not sure if we will be able to safely drive there either.

In today's gospel reading, Jesus calms down the raging sea. I think we can use a miracle from Jesus now:  Please stop the torrential downpour.  We are drowning with overflowing street trains, rivers up to the brim, and marinas underwater!  Our unseasonably rainy Spring and summer just won't quit!

Today throughout the US families are celebrating Father's Day.  This is a bittersweet day for me because I have not spoken or seen my own father in 15 years.  The last time he reached out to me was about four years ago through a LinkedIn invite of all things!  Perhaps an email or phone call would've been a little bit more personal.  I remember looking at his profile and his consulting website.  I couldn't help but laugh and shake my head.  Of all the days to contact me and he chose Father's Day.  I guess he wanted me to remember him.  Sadly, I rather forget.  He only caused my mother pain and heartache. I'm amazed that I turned out as well as I did.  One of God's greatest blessings to me was the chance to break ties to my father.  His abuse, lies, and thievery was not something anyone should have to deal with.

Instead of dwelling on my father, I am celebrating the fatherhood of my maternal grandfather and uncles.  They are loving and caring men who inspire me to be great.  Each one of them has been a shining example of what a good father is all about.  I enjoy their presence!

The rains have quit for now.  The skies are quiet and calm.  It looks like I'll make it out to visit my family after all!

Happy Father's Day!

"I pray to be a good servant to God, a father, a husband, a son, a friend, a brother, an uncle, a good neighbor, a good leader to those who look up to me, a good follower to those who are serving God and doing the right thing." - Mark Wahlberg, Actor 

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment