Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Heart of A Helping Hand



Tuesday After Epiphany

(Click Here for Readings)

When Jesus saw the vast crowd, his heart was moved with pity for them, for they were like sheep without a shepherd; and he began to teach them many things.

On New Year's Eve, I stopped by Target to buy a case of Duraflame logs and a bottle of bubbly. I planned to spend the evening curled up next to a roaring fire, watching a chick flick while nursing on a glass of Prosecco. As I pushed the heavy shopping cart back to my car, I noticed a couple standing in front of the entrance speaking Italian.  The man smiled as he glimpsed up at me.  I returned the smile thinking, "Whoa, he's a good looking guy!" Suddenly, I hit a bump in the pavement which caused the the box of logs to roll into the middle of the parking lot!  I cursed under my breath, totally annoyed.  How on earth would I be able to lift that heavy box now?  I heard the Italian man ask, "Miss, Do you need some assistance?"  I responded, "Oh yes, please!  Thank you so much for your help!"  He lifted up the heavy box and placed it inside the trunk.  He smiled again saying, "Have a Happy New Year!"

Wow, here this guy - a total stranger - saw a need and helped out! Just like Jesus was moved with pity at the vast crowd, sharing the limited fish and bread, this handsome stranger shared his muscle power by carrying the box of Duraflame logs to my car.  Not too often do I encounter a Good Samaritan, but when one arrives I'm always very grateful.

Let us love one another.  Why are some people unwilling to lift a finger for someone in need?  I always thought selfishness was to blame, or perhaps the fear of being sued in our litigious society. On the other hand, some people were never taught how to help others.  Maybe they grew up in homes where it was a sign of weakness to ask for help or to provide help in return.  Maybe showing altruism - selfless concern for the well-being of others -  lead to jealousy and resentment within the family itself.....

Sadly, within the work environment, competition and the desire to "one up" leads to a person's reluctance to assist: "If I help that person then he (or she) will become more successful than me!"

When we love one another, and I mean love without conditions attached, we are much more willing to help.  We will help without even thinking about it!  It comes natural as we put on the mind and heart of Christ!   Jesus realized among the crowds a great need for guidance and instruction.  The people were lost without a shepherd and clueless without a leader.  They were desperate to be forgiven and healed. The Lord was alive in the flesh, possessing the heart of a helping hand!

God is Love   We should remember on a daily basis that God is Love.  He mends our brokenness; forgives our selfishness; heals our stubbornness; and blesses us beyond measure.  God's Love transcends all human love combined.  The Eucharist is the epitome of this Divine Love.  Regular reception of Christ's Precious Body and Blood encourages us to give a helping hand, flash a friendly smile, and care for others unconditionally.

A Saintly Example  Yesterday, I finished reading Sigrid Undset's classic book "Catherine of Siena." I've been studying Saint Catherine for the last few months.  (This is why I reference her so often in my posts.  She's so inspiring!)  I conclude she is one of the best examples of altruistic love for both the human body and soul. There's a interesting story of an elderly woman suffering from advanced breast cancer.  The oozing sores were so foul smelling that everybody in Siena refused to care for her except for Saint Catherine.  She graciously accepted the opportunity to become this woman's nurse despite the curses, insults, and attempt to tarnish her good name.  At one point, the smell was so repulsive that Catherine began to get sick.  She felt so guilty for her physical reaction that she drank the bowl of pus drained from the woman's sores.  Yes, this is not a very appealing image.  (I hope nobody is eating while they read this post.)  Yet, it just goes to show how much Saint Catherine loved her patient as well as the Lord.  She couldn't bare to show sickness toward another human being.

A New Year is upon us.  Why not love one another and strive to teach one another?  Why not lend your heart to a stranger and give a helping hand?!




No comments:

Post a Comment