Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Spiritual Snippet -- Something Old Something New





Last week, after returning from vacation, I realized I lost my Miraculous Medal at the airport.  The chain came home with me but the pendant itself ...gone!  I owned the medal since 1998, after I first became Catholic, so I was deeply sad to see it lost.  A couple of friends mentioned that maybe the medal went missing for a divine reason:  Our Lord wanted it to go to someone else; perhaps a person struggling with a heavy burden desperately needed Immaculate Mary's intercession.

I've lost quite a number of religious items lately including my December issue of Magnificat with a tan leatherette cover.  It contained a few treasured prayers cards, including one I received the day after my confirmation.  Once again, something old and highly prized lost forever.  

I prayed to Saint Anthony for help finding my favorite Catholic sacramentals.  I imagine his reply: "My Dear Daughter, I'm sorry but these items cannot be found.  I trust God will position new and better objects in your path for your daily use."

I ordered a brand new Magnificat cover which looks much nicer than the old one.  As for the prayer cards, well, I plan to print off new ones from my home printer.  This past weekend I purchased a new Miraculous Medal from my local Catholic bookstore.  The clasp is much more secure, so hopefully it will stay close to my heart for years to come.   I discovered quite an array of Catholic books as I browsed the store; a number of them I plan to add to my reading list.

Something old, something new (along with something borrowed, something blue) is a tradition of a bride to be.  She adorns her wedding dress with an old heirloom, a new piece, a borrowed object, and something in the color blue.  I'm not sure where this tradition comes from, but I always see brides honoring the custom.  I remember at my best friend's wedding in Chicago many years ago she carried a beautiful blue rosary around her bouquet of flowers.  I just love the idea!

I think it's common to hold on to the old with a reluctance to venture into new territory.  We feel more comfortable and familiar with the old.  We may fear what the new will offer us.  Will be still be safe and secure?  Will we still be in control? What will the new give us that the old already does?

For instance, we keep our old junker car around because it's reliable and paid for.  A new car means higher insurance and a monthly payment!  We keep the old cell phone around, even if it's a dinosaur compared to the latest tech, because we know how to work it.  No need to learn a new device!  

When it comes to our spiritual lives, we tend to hold on to our old sinful habits, hesitant to convert into new holy habits. We go through life in an old endless cycle  of hopelessness and despair, or indifferent and apathy.  The "new" is seen as an impossible undertaking.

Many times when we take the leap of faith and try something new we find that we love it.  It's more satisfying that the old.  It's more spiritually fulfilling.  It allows us to grow closer to Christ.  Perhaps we've separated ourselves from God for way too long.  He's reached out to us, but it's just now that we grab on to his hand and walk along by His side!

Saint Anthony, Pray for Us!

-J.







No comments:

Post a Comment