Friday, January 23, 2015

Sons and Daughters of Thunder

Friday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time

(Click a Here for Readings)

Gospel of Mark 3:13-19

He appointed the Twelve: Simon, whom he named Peter; James, son of Zebedee, and John the brother of James, whom he named Boanerges,that is, sons of thunder; Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew,Matthew, Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus;Thaddeus, Simon the Cananean, and Judas Iscariot who betrayed him.


Readers who follow my blog regularly know I'm very personal in my meditations.  I don't hide much of anything.  I share what I think with a little censorship here and there, but for the most part I'm very honest. Some people may like my thoughts, and keep reading, while others hate my writing style.  It's just who I am as a unique person.  What's great about blogging is I can express myself in any way I choose. Again, if people don't find me appealing they can move on. I'm confident that even if two or three individuals can relate to my thoughts I'm doing a pretty good job.  God has an amazing way of blessing others through a writer's words.  I want others to love Christ as much as I do.

Does anyone hear the thunder?  Does anyone see the lightening? Does anyone read what I write or is this blog just floating into the black abyss of cyber space?

Every day I pray to God that I can find a better career or not have to work anymore!  My boring job is frying my brain, leaving me depressed, irritable, and feeling worthless! Most mornings I wake up with heart palpitations followed by burn, loathing the long work commute. Please don't get me wrong.  I'm very blessed to be employed. I can pay me bills on time even if I live paycheck by paycheck.  I'm just in a dead-in position.  I look back at my college years and wish I had majored in Computer Science, Engineering or some kind of medical field.  All the promising jobs seem to be in the areas of healthcare and information technology these days.  I'm at an age when going back to school isn't a very wise move.  (I'm already in debt. Why tack on student loans?)  

I find myself envying those younger than me.  I know employers prefer the younger candidates because they lack experience and will work cheap. As a mid-level professional, I will need to enter management level to boost my salary.  How do I reach that without applicable on-the-job experience?  I certainly have the intellect to succeed, yet very few want to take a gamble with me.  So I'm left to do the best with my current situation.  

 It's almost like lightening has struck my pride and thunder has scared my intellect into inaction.  I'm lifeless.  I'm lazy. I don't know what to do with my life.  I envy the youth and their promising futures.  Oh, how I wish I could travel back 20+ years and start my life all over again.  I would have chosen a better career path for my future!  There's nothing worse than knowing deep down that your peak has ended.  Somebody younger or somebody with more "experience" will be preferred in the job market.  Maybe I should go ahead and reserve my burial plot in my parish's columbarium.  Life is just !@#$.  I want to be a success and not a failure.  I want to feel good about myself.  I want others to see my potential.  Doesn't anyone notice me or think I'm worthy of love and appreciation?

Thunder in the sky booms and crackles.  It produces unexpected jolts through out bodies. It's as if an earthquake rumbles through our flesh.  When a thunderstorm hits, the claps of thunder cause us to shake and tremble.  We hide under our bed covers scared of the impending storm. Will our house flood out?  Will lightening hit our roof?  Will we be safe?

As sons and daughters of God, thunder impacts us all.  Thunder can be seen in the form of our burdens and struggles.  We think we can no longer manage the pain and the anxiety.  Yet, the thunder softens as life's storm passes.  We will see peace and calm on the horizon.  We will feel safe again through the power of God.

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment