Monday, June 13, 2011

A Needle in the Vein

Today, I went to a phlebotomist for my annual blood work. Anxiety already set in last night. I've had a fear of needles and blood ever since I was a child. Basic immunizations normally required me to be strapped down on the doctor bed. I always kicked and screamed fearing the daunting needle. Drawing blood was even a greater disturbance!  (My mother used to say I always embarrassed her at the doctors office.  She never knew if I'd grow out of my terrible fits!)  When I reached puberty, I experienced fainting spells, all from the anxiety of thinking about that needle sucking the blood out of my veins. Now that I'm older, the needle blood thing still makes me nervous and queazy.  Fortunately, my experience with the blood work today went smoothly. Yes, I felt all of the anxiety signs:  shakiness, light headedness, dry mouth, and headache. However, I can honestly say prayer and meditation helped me survive this anxiety producing event!

Whenever I feel anxious or worried, I read St. Paul's words from Philippians 4:6-7(NAB): Have no anxiety at all but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. 

During mass, A Nigerian priest used to say the following after the Our Father :  In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from useless worries.  The term useless worries subsituted for anxiety.  I figured with English as his second language "useless worries" was easier to say than anxiety. What a fitting synonym for the times I've become so anxious about something causing me to feel sick, angry, depressed, scared, or sorrowful.  How useless are worries and fears when God is right there beside me for comfort.  All I have to do is ask for his assistance with the aid of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Saints!

No comments:

Post a Comment