Friday, July 19, 2013

Do Not Grow Stubborn



Today, listen to the voice of the Lord; Do not grow stubborn , as your fathers did in the wilderness, when at Meriba and Massah they challenged me and provoked me, Although they had seen all my works."  -Excerpt from Psalm 95 (The Divine Office Invitatory Prayer)

Every time I read this passage from Psalms 95 I'm reminded of the Israelites "mumbling and grumbling" about the manna and quail during 40 days in the wilderness.  They were tired from the long grueling journey. They were fed up with the icky food!  If I traveled along with Moses and his entourage I'd be grumpy, too. Probably the smell and taste of strange food falling from the sky would make my stomach turn!  Being uncomfortable, filthy, and ragged would leave me blind to any "good" deeds God performed for his people!

In my own stubborn self I'd be thinking: "Ok, God, it's been like 39 years now. Why can't you feed us something other than this wretched manna?  I don't know if I trust that we will ever make it to the Promise land!  Already a few generations of us have passed on.  I don't even know if Moses is fit for the role as our Leader.  I'm wanting change and I want it now.  I'm so tired of this travel...."

When I am stubborn, I fail to listen to the voice of the Lord.  When I want things immediately (instant gratification) or want things to work out my way (refusal to let go) I'm not growing stronger in my Christian faith.  I'm backsliding into a me-centric world.  Our Lord doesn't want me to grow more and more stubborn as I live the only life he gave me.  He wants me to let go of the things "I" want and allow things to work out the way "He" wants.  This is quite the challenge.  God gave me the free will to behave however I like.  I can complain or I can be grateful.  I can curse or I can praise.  I can frown or I can smile.  I can be foolish or wise.

Do not grow stubborn!!


-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment