Friday, January 1, 2016

Mary and New Year's Resolutions

The Octave Day of Christmas
Solemnity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God
New Year's Day 2016



Gospel of Luke 2:16-21


The shepherds went in haste to Bethlehem and found Mary and Joseph, and the infant lying in the manger. When they saw this, they made known the message  that had been told them about this child. All who heard it were amazed by what had been told them by the shepherds. And Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart.


 I can't remember the last time I went to  New Year's Eve party or even stayed up past midnight.  Usually I spend the night alone curled up in front of the television set or in my nice cozy bed.  I rather be safe inside the house than around drunk drivers.

At 3 am this morning, my neighbor's yappy dog howled up a storm.  It kept me up, so I loaded up laundry in the washing machine and turned on the dishwasher.  Might as well make use of the early hours of the New Year instead of beating my head against my pillow wishing the dog would shut up!  Obviously the dog was in distress. Maybe the neighbor passed out drunk and the dog needed to go outside...Who knows. Sadly, my neighbor isn't a very friendly person.  I feel sorry for the dog because I think he is starving for attention, something the owner rarely gives him.  Of course, I couldn't help but think of my own dog who always slept in the bed next to me.  She rarely barked at night.  If she did, she obeyed her mommy when I'd gently tell her, "Shh! No barking, sweet precious!"

This time of the year the word "resolution" becomes a focus. Lose weight.  Quit smoking or drinking.  Spend more time with the kids.  Go to church every Sunday....The litany of resolutions can be pages long.  But, do we actually make an attempt to fulfill them?  Or do we just say we are going to do XYZ because everybody else talks about it?  I know every time I try to make a resolution I give up within the first three months of the year.  I think most people give up by the end of January!

We read in scripture how Our Blessed Mother ponder things, reflecting on them in her heart.  Do we spend fruitful time in prayer?  Do we seek out "hints" of how we should act as better Christians? Circumstances were definitely not easy for Mary.  She was a very young mother with the awesome responsibility of raising the Son of God!  I am sure she had support from relatives and neighbors, but she was still confused about how everything would work out.

Despite the attention, confusion and uneasiness of first time motherhood, Our Blessed Mother remained humble and obedient.  She prayed for guidance and used resources handed to her.  One thing so beautiful about Mary is how she didn't complain.  She didn't rage at Joseph when Jesus wailed all night with a tummy ache.  She didn't curse the Lord when the family had to suddenly travel to Egypt in order to escape death.  She did whatever it took to please God.

What would Mary's resolutions be at the start of a New Year?  Maybe pray more, take better care of herself, spend more time with friends, or be a better wife.  Whatever her "resolutions" may have been, I am sure she stuck to them however challenging.

Today on this first day of the year, let us pray for peace in a world that is undergoing so much suffering.  Let us pray for the sanctity of all human life.  Let us pray for cures to so many diseases that plague people throughout the world.

 Let us resolve to live lives that our holy with Mary, the Mother of God, as our shining example of faith, hope and love.

Happy New Year!!!

-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment