Monday, November 30, 2015

Speak from the Heart

Monday of the First Week of Advent

Romans 10:9-18

Brothers and sisters:  If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved For one believes with the heart and so is justified, and one confesses with the mouth and so is saved.


Yesterday, I stopped by Target to buy groceries.  As I pushed the shopping cart down the diary aisle, I recognized a woman I went to high school with.  I took a double take:  Is it really Erin?  I thought she lived out of state?  Wow, the last time I saw her was at our 20 year high school reunion....

Erin stood right next to me as she checked out the dairy foods; however, I couldn't get the courage to say a word to her.  What kept me silent?  What was I afraid of?  It's not like I despised the woman.  I thought she was pretty cool back in high school.  She was absolutely brilliant - a National Merit Scholar and later became a successful IT professional.  We played in the orchestra together ever since middle school.  She never minded lugging around her heavy and bulky string bass to and from practice.

Come to think about it now....I looked absolutely dreadful with no make-up on and ratty looking hair.  I allowed vanity  to stop me from calling out "Hi Erin!" with a pleasant smile on my face.  I was too worried  if she'd remember me or if I could carry on a conversation for five minutes.  I quickly pushed my cart into another aisle to avoid the interaction.  

Words are sometimes difficult for us to say.  Maybe we feel awkward around the person or just do not understand where they are coming from.  On the other hand, maybe it's a case where we have nothing in common and silence is the golden option.

The tragedy happens when we speak out of anger and not out of love.   We get upset with our spouse and curse them out.  We get impatient with our children and yell at them.  We throw our middle fingers up at God saying, "How could you do this to me?  What kind of God are you?  My life is in the gutter!  Things are just so awful!  I just can't take it anymore!  You disappoint me, God!  I just don't know if I trust you anymore."

Calm down, think, meditate.....Remember that God isn't the enemy.  He is the caretaker. He does not want us to blaspheme him or say cruel words to others.  He wants us to speak from the heart.  That is, speak with respect and love.  Speak with honor and compassion.  Sometimes if we do not have something nice to say it's best to zip our mouths shut!  Trust me, I've blabbered mouth enough to get myself in trouble over the years.  

During the Season of Advent, let us see where we may be weak in our interactions with others.  Are we quick to speak before thinking?  Are we quick to criticize instead of compliment?  Do we have a solid relationship with the Lord?  Have we gone to confession lately?

Speak from the heart but with love and kindness.  Be honest and truthful.  Do not be scared of what others may think.  Now that I look back, I should have said a friendly "Hello, great to see you!" to my long-ago friend.  Well, maybe I'll have the chance next time.

-J.








No comments:

Post a Comment