Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Majestic Growth

Eleventh Sunday in Ordinary Time




Ezekiel 17:22-24


It shall put forth branches and bear fruit, and become a majestic cedar. Birds of every kind shall dwell beneath it, every winged thing in the shade of its boughs. And all the trees of the field shall know that I, the LORD, bring low the high tree, lift high the lowly tree, wither up the green tree, and make the withered tree bloom. As I, the LORD, have spoken, so will I do.                                

In May 2000,  I was hired as a part-time U.S. Government Census Taker for Dallas County.  I was assigned to my apartment complex earning a nice $11 per hour to knock on doors and help people fill out their census forms.  This was way before online surveys and digitized everything.  Since I was close friends with the Assistant manager of the complex, she helped me connect with several people. I found the experience quite rewarding.  Not only did I help serve my country in a unique way but got to know many of my next door neighbors.  I still have my Census 2000 "swag" in the back of a closet.

Fifteen years later, the City of Dallas has exploded in population.  Such majestic growth has helped bring jobs to our city as well as improve infrastructure.  Yes, the streets may be more crowded and housing more expensive; however, the availability of fine dining establishments, sporting events, concerts, and cultural arts makes this a pretty cool place to live.  I never imagined back at the dawn of the new millennium Big D would expand even bigger.

In Sunday's first reading, we read the Prophet Ezekiel's beautiful image of God taking a tender shoot from a cedar tree, planting it on a high and lofty mountain, and then putting forth branches.  The birds  dwell beneath it. As a tender shoot grows, it provides shade and nourishment.  It's a beautiful reminder how much the Lord blesses us with his mercy.  He plants seeds within our hearts.  It's up to us to decide to water and feed those seeds, allowing us to grow into better examples, witnesses and disciples.

God desires for us to live simple, humble lives.  Make ourselves low so that we are willing to help the marginal in society.  A withered up tree will eventually die if it's not compassionately attended to just like our suffering brothers and sisters will eventually "die" of loneliness, starvation and neglect if we don't make a diligent effort to help them.

We grow spiritually when we help others.  Also, we grow spiritually when we give up our selfishness and follow God's will.  We  have a natural tendency to fertilize and water our own pride and sensuality, dedicating life to "growing" our careers, social status, and stock portfolios.

Why don't we grow trust in God?  Why don't we grow in love for God as well as our neighbors?  Why don't we grow our hearts and minds so we are more confident in following the Way of Christ instead of the Ways of the World? Why is power, prestige, and money such a big deal?

I admit sometimes I'm envious of Catholics who are super devout where majestic growth just oozes from their presence! They attend daily mass, have a strong prayer life, and are well-versed in not only scripture but the writings of the Saints.  They appear to be perfect Catholics! They are married with a bundle of children. They have sweet dispositions, never cursing or complaining.  They help those in need always with a smile. They radiate peacefulness!  I look at them and think:  "Why can't I be the same?"  Then, I shake my head in disgust with myself. I should never resent these beautiful people but learn from them!  Imitate them as much as possible.  Read scripture.  Attend mass as often as possible.  Recite the rosary, read scripture and writings from the saints.   Be kind and compassionate to everyone with a genuine smile on my face.

God wants us all to be good examples to others.  None of us are perfect - even the "perfect Catholics" with stellar reputations for good deeds.  We all have room to grow in faith and in love with God.  Yes, it's easier for some than others.  However, we cannot discount God has a hand in the process.

-J.








No comments:

Post a Comment